Trouble ediiting Blackmagic footage in CS4

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I need your help please. We are shooting a project with a Blackmagic camera but when it comes time to edit clips in the CS4 platorm on our PC, it won't recognize the workflow. Has anyone experienced similar problems? If so, are there any solutions you can pass on? It's extremely frustrating.  My thought is maybe a newer version of Premier Pro is needed since the Blackmagic is a relatively new camera but that is just a guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

[QUOTE]I need your help please. We are shooting a project with a Blackmagic camera but when it comes time to edit clips in the CS4 platorm on our PC, it won't recognize the workflow. Has anyone experienced similar problems? If so, are there any solutions you can pass on? It's extremely frustrating.  My thought is maybe a newer version of Premier Pro is needed since the Blackmagic is a relatively new camera but that is just a guess. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.[/QUOTE]

Hi jw – are you shooting ProRes or RAW?  If you're shooting in ProRes, the .MOV files should be immediately recognized.  If they're not, there's a software issue I'm not qualified to fix.  If you're shooting in CinemaDNG RAW, on the other hand, CS4 is not supposed to recognize it.

For RAW, you have a couple of choices.  You'll either have to:

a) use DaVinci Resolve (which should have come with your Blackmagic Camera – if not, you can download the free version here) to transcode your CinemaDNG files into a proxy which you can edit in CS4, and then reimport to DaVinci to match the timelines – or you can

b) open your CinemaDNG files as an image sequence in Adobe After Effects, edit and render out as a movie.

Here's a great tutorial from Hurlbut Visuals with the details:http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/04/blackmagic-camera-post-workflow/

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Hi Bill – Sorry for not getting back to you sooner with a thank you. I appreciate your help and good info to know. We did shoot in ProRes so looks like a software issue to solve. How come it's never easy? :)) Again thank you for your time. Aloha Jeff

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap