Tripod recommendation for Canon C100?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I've just purchased a Canon C100 and a standard EF zoom lens (to get myself started). I'm at the stage where I need to invest in a tripod (head & sticks) which is both fairly lightweight – suitable for field work mainly, but is also sturdy and is going to support the camera without instability outdoors. I've so far been looking at the Sachtler Ace M and the Sachtler Ace L, but I'd be interested to hear the recommendations of others.

One other thing – does anyone know if a 75mm bowl is sufficient for a camera of this size (plus lenses, and possible a few more bits in the future) or should I be looking at 100mm bowl? And will the larger bowl mean that the tripod is less portable?

Thanks!

Participant

Sachtler makes a great tripod so you won't be disppointed if you go with them. You may also want to look at the Miller Solo 20 line.

The 75mm. bowl will be fine for your needs as the 100mm. bolw is designed for heavier (15 lb. or more) cameras.

The rule of thumb I've always used for tripods is to figure out the maximum weight I'll be putting on it (camera, lens, battery, all other accessories) and get one that is rated for double that amount.

Buy a good one now and you'll have it for a very long time. I still use a Miller tripod that's almost 30 years old. It's been back for overhaul once but it still works which is more than I can say for the camera it was originally purchased for. That was 3 or 4 cameras ago πŸ™‚

Mike

Hi arthouse – we use Sachtlers at work, but I bought a $120 (on sale) Ravelli AVTP Professional to use at home.  It has a 75mm bowl and only weighs 11 lbs., but has a max rated capacity of 27 lbs. It also has dual handles, crutch style legs and comes with two Monfrotto-compatible plates.

Here it is with my camcorder and Audio Technica on it:

This is a well-built tripod that has survived airline overhead luggage compartments and the back of my Jeep.  I have had mine for a year and a half of hard use and it is still going strong. A very good value for your money. 

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

I love my Miller. Strong and great fluid head for the price.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders β€” 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap