transferring mini DV tape to computer without firewire

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion transferring mini DV tape to computer without firewire

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Panasonic mini DV camcorder and a Dell Laptop with USB ports ONLY. I am trying to figure out the best way to transfer the tapes to my computer for preservation and to edit on my Adobe Premiere.

Is a capture device like Dazzle the best way to go or is there a better option?

Participant

Take a look at this Videomaker thread — https://www.videomaker.com/forum/topic/how-to-capture-video-from-dv-through-usb — for an interesting discussion regarding your question.

I wouldn’t spend money on Dazzle, which has had a pretty lousy track record regarding image quality transfer.

Your best bet would be to see if you can put a firewire card in your laptop.

RockyRocky
      Participant

Using a laptop to copy a DV tape without a video capture card presents problems. This You Tube Video explains one method how to solve your problem. Good Luck

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthebohwsDkheck

Participant

I wouldn’t go with a Dazzle, they’re pieces of garbage. Nor would I go with a video game capture card like the Happauge HD PVR 2, as they capture to AVCHD MP4.

If you are not able to get a Firewire port in you laptop, I would use something like the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle that connects by USB 3.0 , but allows you to hook up a camcorder by S-Video. You would loose some quality dropping to analog, but with the shuttle you would be able to pick your compression to capture in.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap