Tip on what camera to get for field training videos

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Specialty Topics Educational Video Tip on what camera to get for field training videos

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My boss gave me an assignment to help make training videos, they will be shot in multiple light conditions for both indoor and outdoor. It's also very likely that we will shot in varying weather conditions. At this point the budget is whatever gets the job done 🙂

the down side is that I'm very new to handling video camera, I'm mostly a motion effects guy. What camera would be best to use that is pro, that doesn't have a steep learning curve?

thanks

Participant

First you need a budget, then cameras, microphones, lights, weatherproofing to fit the budget. Minimum requirement for a budget camera for what you are doing is to have a mic jack. Then you need a mic and, since you will be outdoors, that too will have to be on the hardy side. If you are more than a couple feet from your talent, if you have talent, you will probably need a wireless mic. otherwise for pictures of work processes you can capture the ambient sound and narrate over top in post.

Participant

Do you expect to shoot in foul weather a lot??? The Sony NX70U is rainproof (not submersible.) It can handle 32-104 degrees.

Or you can attach one of those camping chair clamp-on umberellas to your tripod to keep your camera dry/shaded. It saved my T3i (and me) from baking a couple of weeks ago on an all day shoot in the sun.

Without a lot more information it might be hard to give you a better answer than this.

Participant

Hi Atempaj,

Unfortunately, what you want to do will end up costing a lot of money to do it well. This is due to the laundry list of conditions that you need this camera to fill (lighting conditions, weather conditions, etc). Like BruceMol said, you'll need some lighting gear for your indoor shots such as a three point lighting kit. You don't want to be at the mercy of bad fluorescent lighting! Also, you'll want a couple of reflectors for outdoor shoots with reflector stands and holders which you can get from Photoflex. 

As for a microphone, I would suggest using a wireless lavalier so that you have one less cable to worry about. The heartiest wireless lavalier that I know of is the Sennheiser G3 ($799): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618735-REG/Sennheiser_EW_100_ENG_G3_A_Evolution_G3_100_Series.html. It's one of the most popular wireless lavalier systems out there for a reason!

Lastly, I think your camcorder options are completely open to you regardless of the weather. Like dellwovideo said, having an umbrella or rain gear for your camera is a much less expensive way to protect your camcorder than ordering one that's waterproof. With this in mind, you should be able to record with any camcorder you choose. I personally prefer shooting with DSLRs (for the shallow depth of field), but the camera you choose will depend on a lot more factors than that so unless you give us more details that is the best I can do!

Thanks,

Dan

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap