The way camcorders create video files

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I recently bought a Panasonic HC-V750 and have discovered that the camcorder creates individual video files each time the pause button is pushed. Is this normal?  I expected to create a continuous video (one file) unless I hit the stop button. It is an HD recording to an SD card. Is this the way digital video cams create video files, or is this out of the ordinary? Thank you for any input.

Participant

With digital, the system used doesn't really matter that much. Some increment the file number each time the record button is pushed – so you start and stop and each file is in order. Some create a folder for these files every time you turn the camera on in record. So you find loads of folders, each with a number of files in it. Other cameras have a fixed smaller file size, and create new files with new numbers without you knowing – so you think you are recording one long piece, but it may be 4 separate files you place on the timeline together in the edit. This has the benefit that if a battery goes flat and your file gets corrupted, then the majority of the material shot is still intact and useable and you only lost the very latest one. I'm not familiar with your camera – but it falls into one of these categories!

Participant

I'm not failiar with the Panasonic HC-V750, but you mention a "pause" button.  Are you sure about that?  I've never seen a camcorder with a pause button before.  It's usually a record start/record stop button, not a pause button.  In playback mode however "pause" is a very common button.

Participant

Your camera records in the AVCHD format. There are two types of files that can be created.

The first is a separate file every time you press startstop.

The second is what's called a "spanned" file…that is, let's say you're recording a long event and when the camera has recorded a file of the maximum size, it automatically begins a new file almost immediately. Notice I said "almost" immediately. Usually there's a small gap in video and audio between spanned files.

On Canon camcorders, the camera creates additional files that contain the information needed to put the spanned files together WITHOUT the gap. I would assume Panasonic does the same thing, though I can't speak with certainity.

There's two ways you can merge all your spanned files. You can try using the software that came with your camera to import the video to your computer. In most cases this should merge the spanned files.

Another way, if you're using Premiere Pro (I use CS6), is to copy (from the SD card) all the "Private" folder to your hard drive. This will get the special files that join the spanned files. Next, open a project in CS6. Go to Media Browser (NOT the Project Panel) and navigate to your files. Premiere will read the entire Private folder and all your spanned files will appear as one. Just drag and drop it into the Project Panel.

Participant

I also have a Panasonic camera with the "Pause" feature. It's best to think of "Pause" as "not recording," or "stop." When you press this button again, it will record. It's not a pause in the traditional sense, but rather it marks the end of one recording and readies the camera for the next recording. Each take starts at Record and ends at Pause and results in a separate file. I combine files in my video editing software. BTW, I find that using the same button to toggle between record and pause to be problematic. More than once I thought I was recording when actually I had paused, and was recording when I thought I was pausing–makes for a lot of useless footage!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock media sites — 2019

If you’ve so far avoided using stock media in your projects because of the stigma it carries in certain filmmaking circles, you’re missing out.
homicide-bootstrap