syncing

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am new to video production and am having a problem with syncing video and audio. What I am working with is video recorded on a Sony camera recorded in VOB format, and audio which is recorded at the same time onto a CD recorder through a mixing board. Since the video and the audio is recorded at the same time, they should be the same length. I am ripping the video with Freemake into an AVI format so that I will have the camera audio with it, making it easier to sync up the good quality audio from the CD and then removing the camera audio.Bringing it into Premiere Pro, I find that the video is slightly shorter than the CD audio file. Am I possibly ripping it with the wrong framerate in Freemake? Is there another way to rip the VOB video and get it to the original length/framerate? Thanks for any help.

Participant

Rather than ripping the video, change the VOB extension to MPG and see if that will drop on your Premiere timeline. I do this all the time with Sony Vegas Pro and it works so try it and see.

Camcorders and CD recorders are not known for being accurate, especially over long periods of time. If the difference between the two is small, either cut out some silence on the CD track or speed it up/slow it down to match the video length.

Mike

Participant

Thanks for the reply Mike. I've tried changing the extension, but when I bring it into PP, I don't get the audio with it.

Participant

Also, the VOBs on the disk are split into several VOB files. When I drop them into PP, I get a noticable hiccup between the two VOBs. By ripping the disk, I get one continuous video file, which is preferable.

Participant

Why do you need to have separate audio ?

Any video camera that I've used has had  microphone inputs, so that audio and video are recorded at the same time, and, of course, stay in perfect sync., so there's never a need to manually sync the audio with the video It's done automtically in camera.

Participant

Len, just a guess here but it could be that kswichael was shooting a band or a stage play and that the CD was recording the sound from an audio board. This is no different than using something like a Zoom recorder to record additional audio that you r camera can't handle.

Mike

Participant

Yes, Mike, you are right on. I am recording a weekly program that is shot in a building where the acoustics are terrible. Therefore I'm using the audio directly from the subjects' mics, through the soundboard, to get the best possible audio.

And thanks for the tip on DVDShrink. I will definitely give that a try. Thanks for the in-depth tutorial, too! Looking forward to giving it a whirl this weekend.

Participant

Glad to hear that you liked the tip on DVD Shrink.

If your budget can afford it, consider getting a better camera and use a Beachtek box to get the audio from the mic(s) directly into the camcorder as it will save you a lot of grief 🙂

Mike

Participant

kswichael, I have Premiere Pro 5.5 on my work machine and had no problem loading the video AND audio when I brought a renamed VOB file in.

I know what you mean about the dripouts between VOB files. Very annoying but here's a workaround.

First of all, get DVD Shrink from http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm and then follow these steps to get one single VOB file.

Open the disc in DVD Shrink. Specify a destination. Go to Edit -> Preferences and on the Output Files tab make sure that "Split VOB files …" is NOT checked.

Then, click on the "Re-author" button. On the right side of the screen, select the DVD Browser and drag the titlesets from your DVD from the right screen to the left screen.

Then, click on the Compression Settings tab. Click on each titleset in the left pane, and you should see for that titleset all the streams associated with it. Uncheck all audio streams except the one you want, and uncheck ALL subtitle streams (the example below doesn't have subtitle streams, but if it did, they should ALL be unchecked).

Then, click on Backup, specify a destination and make sure that you tell DVD Shrink not to do any shrinking (which if you are copying from a 4.7GB DVD, it will not do).
      You will now have one single VOB file. There should be no audio glitches or gaps, and the audio length should match the video length.

If you want to see the accompanying images, go to the Sony Vegas forum thread about this at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=627658 and look for the post by user johnmeyer.

Mike

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock media sites — 2019

If you’ve so far avoided using stock media in your projects because of the stigma it carries in certain filmmaking circles, you’re missing out.
homicide-bootstrap