Suggestions for trading Canon GL1

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have a canon GL1, only used once. I recently purchased a new computer system, which doesn't work with tapes, and I'm wanting to get back into active video, so I'm looking to trade it (or sell it) for a SD card prosumer camera. Any ideas of where I may be able to trade it, sell it, and what the going rate is for a "used" gl1?

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

I think you're going to have a hard time getting any decent amount of money or trade value for the GL1. To get an approximate value, you can check eBay. If you search Canon GL1, you can click "more refinements" on the left and tell it to only show "completed listings." Then click on "sold listings" at the top of the page. That'll tell you how much people are paying today.

Right now it looks like they're selling for anywhere between $150 and $350, depending on accessories, warranty, etc.

Participant

Find a price you'd be happy to get and reduce it by a third as your asking price – then expect to get half. I had to practically give away my XL1 ($600 – the pelican case was worth about half what I sold the entire camera package for) and I've got a friend with an XL2 who can't sell it because he won't budge on his price.

You could start on craigslist if you live in or near a decent sized city. Try ebay, maybe.

I know this is going to sound harsh to say about a once great camera, but I would only be interested in a camera like that as a miniDV deck to play my legacy tapes.

It's not going to be popular for three main reasons

– It's SD

– It's 4:3

– It's tape and that means ingestion is restricted to realtime

Remember, you can now get a fullHD camera for $250 with 1080 60p. It's not awesome, but it will blow away a GL1.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh. I've been there myself and it was a rather bitter pill for me to swallow. πŸ™

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap