Suggested camcorder under $1500 for newbie?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello everyone,

I would like to buy a camcorder and my budget is around $1500. Here is some information on my background and intentions which I realize should affect the purchase.

Intentions:

I mainly record indoors comedy videos, but I'm eager to experiment with more artistic style of films which may involve outdoors shooting (does that mean I should get a camcorder that can change lenses?)

Background:

Although I have been making videos for many years (5-6), I never had a good piece of equipment to make them look good. I used mobile phones and whatever cheapo camcorders laying around the house. This means I am a total newbie to professional equipment or event "decent" equipment. But since I've been doing this for fun all these years… I feel like it's time to take it a step further.
      Thanks to the Internet I have gained a bunch of information over the past week about filming, cameras, specs, etc, yet I realize I can't pick a camera because I have ZERO experience with pro gear.

As a side note, I would be interested to learn
      what are your own sources for news on the field,
      like blogs, youtube channels, etc

Thanks for your time!

Hi George – if you want your comedy videos to look like this:

You might want to consider the $1399.99 (on sale) Panasonic GH4 still/video camera plus a $13 Canon FD to micro 4/3 lens adapter and an inexpensive ~$45 Canon FD 28mm f2.8 lens like this one to get started.

This camera will give you much higher quality results than any camcorder in this price range.

Hope this is helpful and Happy New Year!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

While the GH4 is an excellent camera, you may find a traditional video camera more usable unless you're already familiar with SLRs. 

Some of the biggest things most or all HDSLRs (especially in this price range) lack are XLR inputs, proper audio monitoring and controls, proper autofocus and comfortable ergonomics for handheld shooting.

With the right experience and accessories, you can do a great deal artistically with an HDSLR that a standard video camera cannot.

But before you spend the money, consider a camera like the Canon XA10. Or for a little more money, the Sony HXR-NX30 and Canon XA20's would be excellent choices in the camcorder department.

Given your statement that you have zero experience with pro gear, you may find that a straight up camcorder may make your productions better (and easier to make) than a fancy HDSLR based solely on their ease of use.

Participant

Thank you very much for the reply, but unfortunately this item does not ship to Greece 🙁 ,

could suggest any alternatives?

Sorry, George.  I missed the fact that you are in Greece.  You can get a Panasonic GH4 for £1099.95 (about 1406.93€) from 99.4% positive seller universal-electronix in the UK via eBay DE.

Shipping is £14.99 (about 19.17€) to Greece.

With a 10€ Canon FD to micro 4/3 adapter and an inexpensive Canon FD 28mm f2.8 lens, you can produce image quality like this:

http://youtu.be/tOtKMKVPdHg

http://vimeo.com/97399808

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

This is indeed helpfull, thank you very much Bill 🙂

Participant

Hey, thanks for the reply,

I'm afraid that a DSLR type of camera will make me to spend much more money than I plan to…

but I won't rule it out yet, maybe I'll find a good offer

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap