Storing MXF clips

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, I'm new to solid state cams – bought the Canon XF100 – How do the pro's get around the fact that when you store the clips in a folder on the PC, you cant see a pic/icon but merely the Icon of the software (ie the VLC "cone"?

Participant

its because your computer is set to use VLC as the primary tool to play the clip in that format by your computer  if you have played back your footage using VLC the pc automatically assumes that VLC is the proper tool to play the footage. If you edit on the same computer your NLE should not have any problem with this. My computer sees AVCHD files in my computer as windows media file because I installed the the codecs to allow the computer to play the files.

Participant

make sure you make every file name different, and create file foldwers by left clicking on the mouse and select make new file you can do as many files as you like, when you import new footage into your computer, create a new folder with the name of the project you are working on and store the footage in that file. this will allow you to keep all your footage organized by job and give you fewer file to pick from when you stare to edit. Keep in mind, HD cameras files are huge, I have taken to loading my new files into my external hard drive, since I can pull them up in my NLE easily. This also saves room in my main hard drive.  Hope this helps.

Participant

Our workflow goes something like this:

We have folders named specifically for each project.  We transfer the project video files from our cameras (XF100, XF105 and HF G10 cameras) to their respective project folder.  Then we use Adobe Bridge to batch rename the files.  Along with the project short name we include the file number given by the camera in the new filenames.  Once we have the files renamed properly we create an Adobe Premiere Pro project.  Once the project is created we import all of the files related to that project into the project bin.  We rarely if ever use anything but Adobe to view the MXF files.  The files we get off our HF G10's can be viewed with media player not needing Adobe but our practice is to follow the workflow.   Rarely, if ever do we use the media player or similar to look at the raw video files.

We have found a few applications that will let the user view a MXF file but each converts the file first (except for the utility supplied by Canon or the higher end NLE’s such as Avid and Adobe).  The MXF file is really just a wrapper for MPEG-2 video that has bitrates up to 50 Mbit/s and contains 16-bit linear PCM audio along with a place to capture metadata.   Canon refers to it as their XF codec.  Check out the two links I included below for more detail and explanation.

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/mxf

http://www.pro-mpeg.org/pages/main.php?page=0002

Participant

mxf files converter if needed, edit and save mxf footpages software such as http://www.convertmxffiles.com/

Participant

if you want to edit your MXF files in FCP or AVID or other NLEs , you can use some third-party software to help you

Participant

Sorry I'm not too computer literate. I have tried changing which programme plays the clips -Windows Media Player and Nero and they all play the files, but they all display them on my hard drive when filed,with their own logo's and NOT with a pic / thumnail from the clip.I have Prem ProCS6 on the same computer and when I import them into that, yes I can see them, but its the filing I am worried about. Surely when you have filed 50 clips in a folder on the hard drive, you dont want to go and open each one individually to see whats on the clip because all you see initially is the software Icon? If you file a clip from an SD card, you get thumnails showing an actual pic from the clip???? I do understand that its the MXF file that is creating the problem but is there a way around it? The web suggests downloadingSony's XDCam which I did and yes you can see the clips (just as you can in the supplied Canon Utility software) but it didnt help me file them with a thumnail??

Participant

yes – thank you for that. I must assume however that the files still wont be in the form of viewable thumnails?

Participant

ok thank you all. I think I get the idea -Regards Bumiker

• Viewing 5 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap