Static sound issue with Sennheiser ew 100 g3 and Zoom h4n

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Static sound issue with Sennheiser ew 100 g3 and Zoom h4n

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,
      I have been experiencing occasional, loud static sounds in my recordings using Sennheiser ew 100 g3 set, coupled with a Zoom H4n.
      The Sennheiser lavalier mic is clipped on around the speaker’s neck and the transmitter part is either hand-held, in a pocket, or hanging from the belt, while the receiver is attached to Zoom H4n.

I recently recorded about 22 presentations this way and a few of them have this static noise that I cannot explain. I had the same problem last year and I couldn’t figure out why. I changed frequencies thinking perhaps some electronic device interfered, but it did not solve the problem.
      I end up having to go through all the videos and find a way to cut out the noise if it’s not in the middle of a word, or find a way to reduce it.

I am attaching two samples to help me explain better.
      https://copy.com/8UKnZVOfcFxYGb80
      https://copy.com/PmVOpfpfKNinFUcy

Any ideas how I end up getting this problem?

Thanks

Participant

My hunch would be that there is a short somewhere in your system, although it is very difficult to tell based on the clips.
      Troubleshoot with a single variable. Record with the camera mic first. If there’s static you’ve evidently got a problem in the audio record circuit in the camera and will need to take it to a repair facility. If there’s no static, plug the Sennheiser into the camera and record. If there’s still no static you can rule out camera and mic as the source of the static. Now add the Zoom into the mix and see what happens.
      I would also try recording with all three elements on a table top. It’s remotely possible that static electricity from clothing is causing the problem since you indicate that the transmitter is hand held, in a pocket or hanging from a belt, or that one of the jacks has a short that only occasionally occurs when the microphone or transmitter is moved.

RockyRocky
      Participant

Jack’s right, the method to solve such a intermittent problem is testing by elimination, but keep it simple!

To eliminate the Sennheiser equipment, rig it up in front of say a TV or radio and monitor with headphones from a distance. To eliminate the Zoom H4n make a one hour silent recording in a sound proof area using the same recording media as when the “click” was recorded.

The remaining possibility which will be impossible to confirm, is from an external sources such as:-
      – RF radiation equipment source.

– If you used any AC power to the camera or recording equipment, the possibility exists for any power switch on the same building circuit, being switch on or off, creating a spike that will manifest itself as similar to the “click” noise you experienced (AC spikes can be eliminated with filters).

Good luck.

Participant

thanks Jack and Rocky for the suggestions. I will do the tests you suggest. It will be hard to tell because these sounds showed up only occasionally and last year I could not see a trend to when it came up (if they happen only with certain movements, clothing styles, pronunciation styles, etc.). So far, this year it has been a problem only in 2 videos out of 6.

Someone had suggested they could be caused by overmodulation and that the transmitter might be sending in sounds that are overmodulated. I lowered the sensitivity of the transmitter from -6 db to -18db.

Participant

That’s just plain ordinary dropout – not interference, just the signal strength diving down and recovering quickly. Just a burt of noise, and very, very common. I’m assuming the receiver is a battery operated one? Although these are diversity receivers, using the aerial for one channel and the screen of the audio cable for the other channel, they are close together, so if the presenter walks into a null, then it’s probable both aerials will be in the same path. You can improve the problem by putting the receiver closer to the transmitter and running a long XLR cable, or simply moving the receiver and zoom closer wired together. The old maxim holds true – a two thousand dollar radio system is nearly as good as a ten dollar piece of cable!

Participant

so, it seems like my gear bag will get an XLR cable heavier.
      Thanks πŸ™‚

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter β€” 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap