specific question on low-end editing configuration

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing specific question on low-end editing configuration

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. I tried to find relevant answers but my question is quite specific and I couldn’t find a relevant answer.

In a few words.. I want to buy a fairly low-end laptop which will (also) be used for amateur video editing. When I say amateur, I mean that I ‘m not a professional, it’s just a hobby I want to get into. I want to process some of my own clips and produce small ‘movies’ with music etc. I will initially try out simple and probably free software, and then see if I get into something more complex. I have experience with windows movie maker, but I realise there are other (better?) options out there..

Anyway – you get the picture, I ‘m an amateur who just feels like spending some time editing videos.

The question now. My budget is tight. I will buy an average laptop which I will use with a large 25-inch screen.

I narrowed my laptop choices into two:

1 – (Asus) Intel Core i5-5200U 2.2 GHZ – Intel hd 5500

2 – (Lenovo) Intel Core i3-5010U (2.10 GHz) – Nvidia Geforce GT940M 2 GB

Both will have 8GB RAM and are priced roughly the same (less than 500 euro).

The question is – is it worth getting the first which has a better CPU but integrated graphics, or go with the second which has the Nvidia?

I won’t be playing games and the integrated card on the first is sufficient for all my other uses, plus the added advantage of lower power consumption.

I know these cards like the geforce are basically there to support gaming, but do they add a significant bonus on video editing? Is that advantage more important than the faster processor on the other machine?

All previous topics I could find were discussing the same theme but considering higher-end PCs and video cards. I know these are better suited for video editing obviously, but if one has to stick to a lower budget, should we choose these lower-end GPUs or the integrated ones (and better processors) are a wiser choice?

Thanks in advance for your time ..

Participant

What NLE will you use? Some may not utilize the power of the NVidia GPU. For your situation, I would choose the faster processor.

I use an Asus G51 with an i7 chip, 6 GB RAM, and an NVidia processor, and it does quite well (kind of a combination of your two choices). On this machine I use Vegas Studio and Pro as well as AVS4You and the notebook does a nice job editing and rendering hour long videos.

My desk PC is an older HP Quad Core with 8 GB RAM and a GEForce card which supports CUDA and OpenCL, Using the same programs, it renders slower, but not much slower than the i7 notebook.

Hello Steve and thanks for your reply.

When you say ‘Nvidia processor’, what exactly do you mean? A dedicated GPU? If yes, which one?

My situation is simple.. I have to choose between a 5th generation core i3 processor with a dedicated GPU like GeForce 940M, or a similarly 5th generation core i5 processor without the GPU. The question is, which one would be a wiser choice for simple (amateur, not professional) video editing? Say you got various clips from cams and/or mobile phones and want to mix them into something nice for youtube purposes ..

Now, considering NLE software – I ‘m not sure yet, but probably some open source first and then maybe adobe premiere as it seems to be the standard.

Researching a little bit, it seems that all Nvidia GeForce 9x0M series support CUDA. See https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

Also, Blender’s manual suggests that itis designed to take advantage of such capabilities.

See: https://www.blender.org/manual/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html

So I guess that these cards are being used by the relevant software. So probably the GPU is more important than the faster processor… Am I right?

thanks ..

PS – Obviously a faster processor and a better card would be a great choice. However I am very much constrained in my choices due to a tight budget. The choice comes down to i3 with discrete GPU or i5 without..

Participant

If it was me I’d go for the one with the i5 processor. A bigger (i.e. faster) processor is always better when it comes to video editing, especially when you get into editing HD video and pretty much all footage is that these days.

Mike

Participant

STOP! You are going at it backwards. You need to decide which editing program you want to use and then read up on what the engineers recommend for running their program. Then find a computer that fits that profile. If you start by buying a computer, you’re going to lock yourself into a program you may not want. Start by googling “system requirements” for your preferred NLE. For instance, Sony’s entry-level editing software requires the following, and the requirements go up from there.
    2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
    2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
    IEEE-1394DV card (for DV capture and print-to-tape)
    512 MB GPU memory
    Supported NVIDIA, AMD or Intel GPU
    Requires a CUDA-enabled GPU and driver 270.xx or later.
    GeForce GPUs: GeForce GTX 4xx Series or higher (or GeForce GT 2xx Series or higher with driver 285.62 or later).
    Quadro GPUs: Quadro 600 or higher (or Quadro FX 1700 or higher with driver 285.62 or later).

Participant

I agree with rs170a, go with the i5 machine in this instance. You will spend most of your “hands-on” time editing the video. When you render you can walk away from the PC. But if you want to do other work on your PC while you render, more horsepower is important. The GPU won’t affect the quality of the actual file created, the CODECs dictate that. Keep in mind that every video doesn’t have to be 1080p or higher to look good on YouTube — 720p is more than adequate for most of the devices that the videos are viewed on. The lower the resolution, the faster your render time, the faster the upload to YouTube, the faster YouTube processes it, and the faster it streams to the viewer.

When you start producing full-length movies you will want a very serious machine and software.

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap