Sound Mixing Lessons for Videomakers/Editors

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Employment Sound Mixing Lessons for Videomakers/Editors

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Hello videomakers,

I’m offering one-on-one online Skype lessons to up-skill video editors in the area of sound editing and mixing.

I’m a sound editor and sound mixer from Wellington, New Zealand with over 15 years experience in the advertising and film industries working with clients such as Peter Jackson’s Wingnut Films (Music Editing for The Hobbit – The Battle of the Five Armies), Saatchi and Saatchi, Young and Rubicam and Nickelodeon. I worked for ten years at a leading audio post-production studio where I was senior audio engineer and composer before going freelance.

I also teach film sound design at the New Zealand Film and Television School. My full CV and credits list are available on my website here: http://www.jeremycullen.com

In the last few years as the industry has changed I’ve noticed video editors are increasingly being asked to deliver a sound mix as well. While I would always advocate hiring a sound post-production expert for your final audio output, sometimes due to budget and deadline constraints this is not possible. Alternatively, you may wish to handle the sound editing/tracklay yourself and hand your work over to a studio or professional sound mixer to do the final polish and mix.

So how can you deliver the best quality final audio output from your video editing platform?

What are the principles of great sound mixing and how can video editors use these principles to deliver better audio for their clients, and potentially provide more services ie. billable hours?

While Protools and other audio editing/mixing systems provide an elegant solution for sound post-production, most picture editing systems are in fact capable of delivering a broadcast quality sound mix. I believe that a decent sound mix increases the production values of a video exponentially, and that nothing cheapens a production quicker than poor quality audio.

Topics covered will be tailored to your needs (e.g. corporate videos, commercials, online content or documentary), and may include:

• Tracklaying for handover to Sound Post Production
      • Dialogue Editing and Smoothing – achieving a consistent, clean, clear and intelligible dialogue track.
      • Choosing which Microphone channel to use, Noise Reduction and dealing with poorly recorded sound.
      • Sound Effects
      • Music editing techniques
      • Sourcing and Licensing Production Music
      • 5.1 and other surround sound formats
      • Sound mixing – principles of sound mixing, EQing, Panning, Dynamics control (compression and limiting), balancing dialogue or voiceover and music..
      • Mixing for Youtube and online delivery.
      • Meeting BS.1770 (OP59) Broadcast Requirements

I provide a free 30 minute introductory Skype consultation so you can decide if you want to proceed, we can discuss rates for the lessons, and I can tailor the lesson(s) to your needs.

Please feel free to email me at jeremycullen@gmail.com if you’re interested or have any questions!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jeremy Cullen

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Employment’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN