Sound collection options for company event?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Sound collection options for company event?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant
      Hi! We have two big corporate events a year. We rent out a big banquet room that holds 400 to 500 people. We have a stage with a podium and a dozen (or more) speakers. We typically have a microphone on the podium and maybe some wireless mics. Then we record audio from the sound board to an external device. This has worked fairly well and I haven't had any trouble syncing the audio with my video in post. But I am starting to notice some things…

First, some of my executives are "wanderers." They can't seem to stay in a fixed spot behind the podium. Second, we have some very tall speakers who hunch over the mic, they look silly on video. Third, some people try to swallow the mic… "Maybe if I put this thing in my mouth, everyone will be able to hear me better."

Being new to corporate video, is there a better way to do the sound for an event like this? Give everyone a wireless mic? Use lavalier microphones (even if they are only talking for 3 minutes)? Needless to say, I need to do a better job of coaching my speakers in advance, but I am also thinking I need a better strategy with my technology.

Thoughts?
      Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

You need to either train your speakers to use fixed microphones (as in don't get too close or too far away, etc), or put a lavalier on them.

I'd suggest the using the lavaliers if you have them.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap