Sony vs Panasonic ?

Ashraf Ahmed Khan's picture

Sir/Mam,

I am a beginner photography and videography enthusiast from India. My primary area of interest is Rail Fanning (capturing train pics and videos). I have been researching to buy a Full HD Camcorder for recording long duration journeys. I have short listed 2 camcorders. One is Panasonic HC-PV100 (AG-AC30) and the other one is Sony HXR-NX100. I am confused as to choose which one between these ? 

Please provide your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

I would choose the NX100 if for no other reason than its built-in ND filters which for you, shooting outdoors, is a must. However, I'm very biased toward the NX100 because I own two NX5U cameras and shoot with them regularly. Their layout and features are virtually identical to the NX100. Although a bit heavy, the cameras are robust and have a great many control features. Be aware that these are both big cameras; I wouldn't think of taking either on a holiday trip or a "long duration journey." Just too much weight to pack around.

You might take a look at the Sony FDR-AX100, which has received excellent (rave) reviews and is roughly the same price range. I haven't handled one but is appears to be much more compact than the NX100 and has most of the same features, including ND filters built in. And, if it matters to you, it shoots 4K.

Ashraf Ahmed Khan's picture

Thanks a lot, Sir for your suggestions. 

LizPekler's picture

Budgetwise I'd go for Panasonic but Sony is my favorite. You'll never go wrong with either of the two. Thanks for this thread. I will definitely follow this. I'd like to read what will the pro's take on this.