Sony Vs Canon

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

So my canon camcorder is acting funny and their suport isnt very good so i'm trying to switch to a DSLR, Currently i'm going for the

Sony SLT-A58K but i am also thinking about the Canon Rebel T3,

I heard that Sony has amazing video quality and JCVdude from youtube seems to prove that and thats why i wanna get the Sony, But i do like canon because they have wide range of lens's and stuff, So what do you think is better, the Sony SLT-A58K? or the Canon Rebel T3.

Participant

Don't know much about the Sony, but if you're looking at Canon, don't waste your time with the t3.  It only shoots 720p video and has no mic input.  For a bit more money I'd look at the t3i which shoots full 1080p, has a mic input (with adjustable levels) has an articulate view screen and shoots stills at 18 megapixels compared to the t3's 12 megapixels.

Participant

I have the Canon T3i and loved it. But… it's vastly different from using a camcorder, so be aware. The same will be true of the Sony or any HDSLR for that matter. HDSLRs are just different animals.

I would avoid the T3 if you plan on really shooting video unless your budget is extremely limited.

I always tell people two things – good lenses can be used on a variety of cameras for years. And a tripod is forever. Buy these things right the first time and you'll never have to replace them. Canon makes good lenses, even if their cameras aren't always cutting edge.

But back to your question – If you have the money, the T3i is noticably better than the T3. You'll likely be offered an 15-55 and 55-250 lens option. That break at 55mm is a total pain which causes you to switch lenses a lot. It's what I have, so believe me, total pain. The 55-250 is actually a pretty good lens, so don't get me wrong there. I like it. But the new 18-135 STM is a more versitile lens, way better focus, and better than the 18-55.

The T5i has autofocus and a touch screen which is way cooler than it sounds. Combine that with an 18-135 STM and you'll be SO happy you did it. a friend of mine just got that at my recommendation and is completely happy with the money spent on it.

I just bought the Canon 70D and am in love with it. It's a brilliant camera. But if you're looking at the T3, I'm guessing the 70D is out of your budget range. If you can spend a bit more, you'll be very happy you did.

Participant

Dell

I am currently using a Canon camcorder recording 1080p for home video recording.  Am thinking of buying a Canon T3i for photos and for video.  You mentioned differences between a camcorder and a DSLR for video recording.  My question would be what kind of differences could I expect using the Canon vs the camcorder shooting video.

Thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Video Reference Monitor Buyer’s Guide

The best video monitors — 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap