Sony Vegas and DVD creation

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all, new at this.  Does anyone here use Sony Vegas and DVD Architect. I have Vegas 13 and Arch 6. I shot with Canon T3i and HD Panasonic. Video on Vimeo is great. Burning to DVD looks…kinda fuzzy and not crystal like I wish.

I've been messing with different rendering settings and burn speed, etc. Am I understanding that a DVD will only burn like a 480 quality? Is Blu Ray only way to burn an HD quality dvd?

Participant

Regular DVD is limited to standard definition (720×480) so yes, Blu ray is the only way to get HD on a disc.

FYI, the reason it's fuzzy is because HD video (1920×1080) has 6 times as much information.

Mike

Participant

Thanks Mike!  It's disappointing but I guess it's just the way it is. 

Participant

I use the sony pro software also and I render HD video to DVD and the results to me look great.    Are you using one of the rendering presets for DVD?  Rendering Video and Audio separate.  Also make sure you render progressive. 

Participant

Cville,

Yes, I was using "Mainconcept MPEG-2, DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream. Can I ask what you template you use, and if you customize it, what do you change?  I really appreciate your response! 

Also, do you take the render in to DVD Architect to make the DVD?

Participant

I've authored hundreds of DVDs using Vegas and DVDA over the years and have learned a few things to maximize quality. Let me know if you have any questions about anything I say here.

If my program is under 70 min. long, I always use a custom CBR setting of 8,000,000.
    Anything longer and I do a 2-pass encode using a custom VBR setting with the values I get from the bitrate calculator found at http://www.johncline.com/bitcalc110.zip
    I make a few changes to the default settings by clicking the Settings button (lower left) on the main screen.
    Click 1 Kilobit = 1000 bits.
    Set the Default Audio Encoding to 192 Kb/s (this is the default for AC-3 audio encodes).
    Change the Safety Margin from 1% to 5% (I like to give myself a bit of extra room).

I always use the best blank media I can buy. My preference is Taiyo-Yuden (now JVC) Watershield which I can only find online. If I'm stuck, I'll use Verbatim but that's it for recommended brands.

Mike

Participant

Mike, am I good using "Mainconcept MPEG-2, DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream" as the template, and then customize from there?

Participant

ShadyMaple, yes, that's the template to start with. After you customize it you can save it as a preset. You do this by going into the top box on the Video tab of the custom screen, giving it a name and clicking the Save icon (looks like a floppy disc). I have several saved that I use all the time.

Mike

Participant

Also, I might mention this, which may be old news to most, but when burning 4.7 DVD's, I always burn at 4X.  This will ensure that the DVD plays on most any consumer player.  This issue isnt as bad as it used to be but still worthy of consisdering.  Dave

• Viewing 8 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap