Sony nex vg30 or 4k

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

The sony nex vg30 has been my camera of choice to use since getting it last year. However, as 4k cameras are coming in, I’m beginning to think Hd video will phase out within 5 years. If I’m happy with what I have, should I just stick to it and not worry about 4k? Am I thinking too hard on this?

Participant

"Future Proof" is 100% correct. The next-gen format is here so that settles the debate.

Yes- it's amazing how fast previous generation cameras become obsolete.  When I got back into video in '09, people were still recommending 720p cameras because they were "good enough" and "everybody doesn't have a 1080p TV".

People who bought those 720p cameras 5 years ago are pretty unhappy now.  

My guess is that five years from now (or less), people who are buying 1080p cameras will wish they had invested in 4K.

Hi stokes – I upgraded to 4K with the GH4, and it has been a good decision for me.  Your mileage may vary.

Here's what I like about it:

– When downscaled to 1080p, the image quality is stunning – and there is zero moire

– I can crop within the frame to get a 1080p image – and create the impression I am shooting with multiple cameras

– To some extent, I am future-proofed.  When clients start asking for 4K, I'll be ready.

– Panasonic compresses their 4K to 100mbps – my tired old Windows laptop handles it just fine

What I don't like about it:

– Limited number of frame rates – no affordable 4K60p cameras yet

– I don't have a 4K monitor yet

If I were you, I would sell the VG30 and consider something like the $2300 Sony PXW-X70, which Sony plans to upgrade to Ultra HD "4K" in January for an additional ~$500.

Yes, you would be trading the flexibility of interchangeable lenses for a fixed lens, but the X70 has a great 12x zoom, a relatively large 1" sensor, a professional 10-bit 4:2:2 XAVC codec (much better than the VG30's 8-bit 4:2:0 AVCHD), built in pro XLR mic inputs, a built-in ND filter plus HD-SDI out in addition to HDMI.

Since the codec is so new, you will need to download Sony Catalyst Browse (free) to transcode it to something your NLE can use.

Here is what this camera can do:

And here's a nice hands-on review from Philip Johnston, the HD Warrior:

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with your decision!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

4k is here but it's not in full use yet and most current machines can't handle it just yet. I'll be ok with what I have now seeing as 4k might be a standard for another few years.  Unless you have a big , hollywood-level production company, doing without 4k seems like the better choice. i'm not ready for it yet and dont think clients are ready either.

Participant

Haven't I heard that before ? Oh yes  ….  when HD replaced SD around '05   … when SD replaced Digi-Betacam  …. Betacam … U-Matic  … Bolex 16mm  ….

• Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
    homicide-bootstrap