Sony HX 20 clip numbering

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have the small Sony HX 20 camera and take predominantly video with it. It numbers the clips, of course from 0000 upwards. When I change SD cards, it obviously starts at 0000 again. This creates a problem when copying subsequent SD cards to the same folder as it (obvious) comes up with the message “Do you want to overwrite or Delete or save as new” and it adds a 2 on the number. My question is – is there a way to set the cam to continue numbering upwards from where the last SD card left off??
      – Bumiker

Participant

I have to do this any time I get images or footage from a GoPro as it does the same thing.
    What I do is use the batch processing power of IrfanView. It’s free and a very useful utility.
    Copy the contents of the folder to your hard drive. Use IrfanView to rename the files to anything you want. When you load a subsequent card in, use IrfanView to rename the new files the same as what you just did, picking up where you left off.
    Yes, it’s that easy πŸ™‚

Mike

Participant

Thank you so much. Does irfanview change the whole batch at one time if you say renumber the first clip, or do you have to rename them one by one?
    Mike

Participant

It renumbers the entire batch at once. Load the folder in, choose rename, assign the new name & number style and start. You’ll find that it’s extremely quick.

Mike

Participant

Sounds good to me! I have downloaded the programme but havent tried to work with it yet (I am 72 and not tooo clued up on these things) but they will have a “help” I am sure.
    Thank you so much – sounds like exactly what I’m after
    Regards Mike

Participant

Mike, let’s see if I can help you and make it easier.
    Before I forget, if you have Windows 7 or newer, you can do this without IrfanView.
    Select all the files, right click and choose Rename and give them whatever name you want.
    When you add a series of new files to this folder, repeat this process using the same name and the new files will be automatically renamed and properly numbered for you.

If you still want to use IrfanView, install it and run it.
    Go File – Batch Conversion/Rename.
    Browse to the folder with your files in it and click “Add All”.
    If you want to keep the newly named files in the same folder, click “Use current (‘look in’) directory”. If you want to put them into a different folder, browse to it so that IrfanView knows where they’re supposed to go.
    Just above this button is the “Name pattern” option. Give it the desired name. The # symbol is used for the number of files you have in the folder. The default is #### which will go up to 9,999 files. Delete one or more # symbols if you think you will never go that high or just leave it at the default.
    If you proceed with the batch now, it will make a duplicate (renamed copy) of the original files and I don;t think you want that as video files can be large and take up hard drive space.
    In that case, click “Options” next to “Name pattern” and then click the “Rename original/input files (for advanced users only; at your own risk!!)” box. All this does is rename the original files with your desired new name.
    Once you do this, exit this window and click “Start Batch”
    If you’re not 100% certain that you want to do this, leave this option alone and run the batch converter. You can always delete the original files after you’re done.
    I think I covered everything but let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

Participant

Great – i lke the renaming in Windows – why didnt I think of that – but will keep your instructions above “In case” – thank you
    Mike

Participant

Glad I was able to help πŸ™‚

Mike

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap