sony HDR XR 500 camcorder stereo mic input uses

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      robbie_d

I have a SONY HDR XR 500 camcorder.
      I am not sure if it is a consumer cam, a professional cam, or “other cam” as these are all listed as different forum types, in this site.
      What type of cam is mine?

On my cam. i see there is a stereo input for a mic. I am wondering if i can plug the line-out from a mixing board output into this cam mic input for great sound while recording bands.

I saw another thread on the same topic about mic plugs and mixers but i am wondering if i can have an answer for the HDR XR 500.

In the link below, there is one cable in the photo of various XR 500 accessories which i think could be for this purpose. The cable shown and the bottom of the photo has an 1/8 ” jack attached to cannon plug.
      Maybe some one who is more familiar with this subject can check it out and let me know.

Someone in the other thread mentioned a filter or an adapter that could allow a mixer line- out or output to go into a cam mic input
      Can i get a specific filter (or do i need one) for the XR 500 that allows me to plug the line-out of a mixer to this camcorder mic input?
      Thanks for any help

Robbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microphone-Broadcasting-Camcorder-Kit-for-Sony-HDR-XR200-HDR-XR350-HDR-XR500-/401138593142

JackWolcott
      Participant

It’s a consumer level camera. As such, it almost certainly won’t take a line-level feed. Mic level only. If it were my camera I would not chance connecting it to a sound board; if for any reason the mic level output is too loud for the camera’s circuitry it may well destroy the audio circuits.
      You might be able to use in-line attenuation, but without a thorough understanding of the camera’s innards there’s no way of knowing how much attenuation to use.

robbie_d

Thanks, Jack,

Would you know about the in-line attenuation you speak for my Sony cam model.
      Apparently this ” SONY HDR-XR500 ” model was bought in Brazil from what i understand. Meaning it was not available in North America.

Wasn’t there a discussion about some sort of filter or adapter or something that could allow a line out to be fed into this mic in?
      In the link i showed, did you see it?…what is that plug / cable for which i mentioned in my first post? Could that be some sore of thing that would allow the connection, no?
      It’s a 1/8 plug attached to a cable with a cannon at the other end. What would that be for…is that some sort of video plug?

Robbie

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN