Sony AX200 audio

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Recently upgrade to a Sony HDR-AX2000 and added a Rode NTG-1 shotgun mic.  Been out filming and now that I am starting to edit some of the footage I notice the audio levels are extremely low.  I have played with a bunch of different settings in the camera and the only way I can get decent audio is to have it in manual mode and the levels set at around 8-9.  Does this sound right?  All the other cameras (FX7 & PD170) I've used in the past worked fine just using the AGC.

Participant

That does not sound rite at all. I have an AX2000 with a Sony ECM-NV1 shotgun. I can leave it in auto and get perfect sound. I have used manual at times whan filming racing and have no problems. I ALWAYS use headphones and watch the level meters when recording. I would research the mic and see what the differences are.

Participant

Yeah that is the weird part I moniter audio with head phone and it sounds great but once in Vegas I have to crank the levels all the way up just to get decent sounds. Maybe an issue with Vegas or how I transfer files?

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Depending on how I record sound later in post I have to crank up the levels of the audio. Most times this happens with the shtogun mainly because I record alone and the shotgun is usually mount on camera with the subject some distance away. You may hear it right on the headphones, but you also need to monitor the sound meters constantly. Like dagunner metioned is a good idea to have them 3 ticks from the red mark. Even with cranking up the audio in post it still sounds clear and without too much noise. 

Audio is digital recorded as a singal, so if your levels are really low on the raw footage, that means the level that came in from the microphone is either

A). actually that low, in that case you need to either adjust the mode the shotgun is in, or if you are using a XLR to Minijack adapter, you may need another minijack adapter. Also if your camera has preamplifiers, it may be lowering the signal due to excessive noise around you, in this case you need to isolate your target sound more by directing the shotgun more towards the ground, while position over your subject.

B.) the Shotgun is producing a good level signal, but in the recording the process the Camera is dropping the signal to low levels, to test if this is true you need to record with aanother microphone

in the same enviroment that is a shotgun without changing any camera settings. if it is the camera lowering your signal then you made need to change the cameras preamplifier settings or audio settings so that it doesnt lower the signal due to excessive noise around you, and then isolate your target more by position the angle of shotgun from above the subject.

Participant

I always use the content management software to import video. No dropped frames. I have imported segments up to 1 hour and it does a great job. I use Premier Pro and on occasion crank up Sony Movie studio Platinum. Never had a sound issue. When recording where are the sound meters on your display? Id  like to keep mine 3 ticks from the red mark on the right side. But then again I record racing mostly. I would be interested in knowing what you solution is when you get one. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap