Sony Alpha a7/a7r for film

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

What do you guys think about the a7's film capabilities in its tight package, looks very promising but I’m still undecided. I’m looking for a best of both worlds camera for stills and to film a documentary/travel blog. At this point its a7 vs. 5d mark 3

The size of the a7 is huge in the traveling department, but I’m willing to go with the extra weight if the payoff from the canon is worth it, price deference is huge also, can get a lot of nice extra film accessories that I’ll need either way for the 5d.

The a7 has so many awesome features but something just feels weird about it, as if this is the future to come but it’s not been refined yet. But that also feeds into my fear of the 5d, is it going to phase out soon with the coming of mirrorless, full-frame compact, interchangeable cameras.

Wish there is more tests done on the a7's video capability.

oh this video on youtube is pretty stunning also, obviously made by sony to promote sony. None the less, it can be quite versitile

my god Bill what have you done, there goes all my planing, well thank you so much none the less. I realise that I am running into this maby a little bit fast, iv been wanted to get my hand on a camera for boxing day and found a good price for a 5d3 for 3k cash and thought that would be best of both worlds. Then the a7 comes out and turns my world upside down.

I now know about the rx10 and will be doing all the reading I can on it now.

So im a noob ok, I admit it, but I have been stocking the forums and reading every night and learning ALL i can about photography and film, I want to MASTER both I really do. Im going to go on a long bycicle trip around the world and have been planing and saving now for almost a year, I got another 8 months to go before I head out.

So this is what I was thinking this morning(mind you I learn something new every night and the next day my plan changes), what about getting an a7 maby even a7r for purly photo and the ocational shoot, and then getting a Pocket black magic for the dedicated planed out shoots. Ill be getting the new 13'' mac pro speced to full for the road for maximum mobile editing. I remind you ill be on a bicycle so ill have to be a fully mobile and operational film studio πŸ˜›

But now im going to go scout out this rx10, I guess why I want full frame is because iv been told it looks the best, that being said I dont "really" know what im looking for, as I learn more im just getting obsessed about having the ultimate. But of course within my limits of budget and portability.

With the 5d it looks like the best all around camera, very multimedia, im willing to live with the size and huck it around if it can really do it all.

With the a7/a7r it looks amazing for the price and with full frame and being so small it looks like the future is here, dont like what im reading about the AVCHD thought, but I guess I dont really understand what that all means πŸ˜› more reading to be done

Oh and I just read that the 5d3 can now shoot raw on this hacked firmware upgrade, yes there are a lot of downs to it, but amazing none the less if I chose to exploit it. I love the idea of raw ironicly because of its steep lurning curve, I just want to keep on learning and the more I read and watch videos about the BM the more I learn about what I should be looking for in good video.

The 5D Raw Hack And Why I Don’t Care!

just found a 5d3 for 2700$ :S

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-106517-k-canon_eos_5d_mark_iii_223_megapixel_digital_camera_body_only-gclid-CI6y6O_ywrsCFQ1yQgod6j4AZw.htm

No no don’t be sorry, I needed all the possible options I could get, that’s what iv been afraid of with buying new cameras, buying one now and regretting it 35 days later after then return policy is over thanks for the awsome advice, I think I’m going to go with the a7+BM combo,. Now have to decide between the a7 and a7r πŸ˜›

Hi igortski, unless you absolutely need the full frame "look", for doc/vlog work I would save myself some money and get the $1298 Sony RX10 with its built in ND filter, constant f2.8 power zoom and lack of moire/artifacting – this camera is made for video in a way that the A7 and 5D Mark III are not.

Here is Andrew Reid's side by side between the RX10, A7, RX1 and a $4000+ dedicated camcorder, the Sony FS100:

Here is a test of this camera in an inteview setting:

Handheld on the ski slopes:

This shoot would have been impossible with the 5D Mark III without an expensive stabilizer rig.

The RX10 runs wth the big dogs for a lot less money.

Hope this is helpful and best of the holiday!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Yes, there are a lot of options out there, so it's a challenge to know what to do.

As for the 5D Mark III, they're marked down to $2699 at Amazon as well (as of this post).

But I agree with Noam. The 5D Magic Lantern hack is too much hassle. 

If you decide not to go with the RX10's smaller 1" sensor, I like your idea of getting the full-frame $1998 A7 for stills and the $995 BMPCC for video.

For about the same price as the 5D Mark III, you'll have both a high quality full frame still camera and a purpose-built ProRes + RAW cinema camera that is being used to produce some awesome professional work:

Chrissy DePauw Electronic Press Kit by Kofa (ProRes):

Barts Clothing Commercial by Whitemotion Pictures (RAW)

"The Case" – real estate video from Paper Crane (ProRes)

Hope this doesn't mess your plans up again!  Hope you're having a great holiday season,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap