Solution for video editing with only 1 HDD and 1 SSD

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Solution for video editing with only 1 HDD and 1 SSD

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

I have just purchased a SSD disk recently to enhance the performance of my PC for video editing tasks.

At the moment I use this for video editing:
      – Intel Pentium CPU G3220, 3 Ghz
      – WD5000AAKX 500 GB (Blue, 16 MB Cache)
      – Intel(R) HD Graphics
      – 4 GB RAM

I have a chance to upgrade to the following:
      – Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
      – WD10EZEX 1TB (Blue, 1000GB 64MB cache)
      – Intel(R) HD Graphics
      – Samsung 850 Pro, 256 GB
      – 20 GB RAM

My video editing comprises of shorter films (up to 5 minutes, shot in Nikon D750, 1080p) in HitFilm 4 with only a few effects. But I am a beginner eager to do more complex things in the future and start using Adobe Premiere Pro and moving to creating music videos for example.

My issue here is not that my PC is obviously shit:) but how to make the best of it for video editing. I see that many people use at least 3-4 disks for video editing, but that will not be my case, unfortunately.

My questions are:
      1) Should I go with SSD as a main disk and HDD as a scratch disk or vice versa?
      2) Would partitioning any of the disks result in any performance benefits (if yes, what would be best to do?) I ask this second question because perhaps i could “artifically” create 2 (or more) “disks” out of what I already have. No?:)

Thank you very much for your recommendations and help!

Upping the RAM you have will also help. It’s amazing how spending a few bucks on RAM can make a world of difference. But when you get into the more intense editing, a better video card will help tremendously since much of the processing will happen in the video card and not the CPU. As for your disk usage, if you can fit everything you need to edit onto the SSD, that’s going to be faster, provided it’s connected to the same connection as your HDD. There are PCI boards that will allow you to put your SSD onto at PCI slot giving you even better throughput. But for the time being, the HHD is going to hold more data at a cheaper price than the SSD, so if the HHD isn’t giving you playback issues, continue with using that as your edit drive. One thing I always tell people is to make sure they have good backup. I put everything on two bare hard drives and put them on the shelf behind me. Then upload your final to an online service in case, God forbid, your house burns down. At least you’ll have the final edit somewhere off-site.

Chris Sebes
      Senior Editor
      http://www.MediaMixStudios.com

Participant

I doubt on a less powerful machine you will see any real improvement in performance. As said above – RAM is more important. Operating system on the SSD helps start up times. Don;t worry about the quantity of discs, just handy on a more powerful machine as you can effectively do more things at once, but the six drives on my edit PC don’t really speed things up much, but they do offer me more security for backups etc. My macbook has one drive and edits fine.

As for my graphic card, unfortunately, that is out of my budget. In my current PC, the playbacks are painful I always have to export first, to see what I did and if that is the final work. So for example, I create a 2 minute film and export it to check, if that is what I want and then in the last 5 seconds of the film I realize that I made some mistake. So istead of checking this in a smooth playback, I have to spend sometimes half an hour to correct and export to check again. and this is something you usually have to do several times with a project. So, I would appreciate any improvement in playback for sure.

I will check the PCI slot thing, thanks for the tip.

As for not worrying about quantity of disks, I thought that the special tricks with 3 disks that many Adobe users recommend to speed up work, are a real deal (and that is partly why I wondered if there is any option with “only” 2 disks that could provide at least similar results).

Thank you for your valuable comments anyway, although I have to sincerely say that I am a bit confused now about what to do with my new SSD disk;)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap