Software / Method for creating clips from time stamps?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Software / Method for creating clips from time stamps?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone, I’m new here. I hope I came to the right place, first of all.

Let me cut to it. I’ve been working for several months to compile highlight reels from a couple thousand hours of footage. Now that I have streamlined the method I use to pinpoint the time stamps of the clips, the editing process to cut the clips out and append them together is taking much more time than actually determining the time stamps themselves is. (Using Windows Movie Maker)

Can anyone recommend me to an application which has the features necessary to easily create a clip from time stamps given for the input video? The quicker and easier the function, the more helpful it’ll be.

Any help is MUCH appreciated. πŸ™‚

Participant

Sounds like you are wanting an EDL
    See http://www.videomaker.com/article/c3/17029-shot-lists-and-edit-decision-lists-keeping-organized

Logging clips and sub clips is an important part of the editing process. If I understand your question correctly you are having trouble trimming clips in Windows Movie Maker. Windows Movie Maker has some real limitations on these type of features. If you are working alone on your project and you just want to execute the the edit of the clip and add the sub clips to the timeline most basic and all advanced editing software packages offer that ability. I use Sony Movie Studio for most of my basic editing as I am familiar with this software and my needs are usually very basic. You can get it for @ $60.00 and honestly if you are working on a couple thousand hours of footage, you certainly need something better than WMM.

Here is an example of what I think you are trying to accomplish using Sony Movie Studio. I think it will show you a process that is much quicker that what you may be using.

Let us know if this solves you problem or you come up with another solution. If I misunderstood your question, let us know in a little more detail what you’re trying to accomplish. Good Luck.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Since writing this post I went and got Sony Movie Studio and learned to use it, and while it is slightly faster in editing and a handy tool to be familiar with, it is much slower in exporting the final clip. The method I had in using windows movie maker was refined to be as efficient as I could make it, and I’ll be using sony movie studio for some shorter projects until I get as proficient with it.. but the idea of an EDL is enticing.

Which video editors have the ability to use the edit decision list?

OK, sorry to bump this, but I’ve done some learning in the last couple weeks and got my hands on adobe premiere pro 2015. I’m trying to figure out if it’s possible to type out an edit decision list and import it into the program. Can anyone help me out with this? I’ll try and figure it out alone but the sheer number of customization options in this program is staggering.. thanks

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap