so many choices of cameras!! Help me choose

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am looking for a camera that can handle short films, music video's, documentary.  Im looking in the 1500-2500 range.

Cameras im considering ;

Sony fx-7 and a couple other Sony's

Canon xa20

Open to Suggestions

The problem I have with the fx-7 is that I have to use an adapter to have XLR. I'm not sure if that will affect any sound.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Hi Nighthawk86. Welcome to the Videomaker forums! 

Of those two cameras, I like the XA20. The XLR inputs are nice to have. The FX-7 is an older camera that only shoots on tape and Memory Stick Pro (no SD card slot). Also, its 1080 footage is interlaced. πŸ™

Have you ruled out DSLR cameras? They're great for short films and music videos. They work for documentaries as well, though the XA20 might be the better option there.

Hi nighthawk – if you would like distribute your motion pictures anywhere other than YouTube or Vimeo, you might want to shoot at something higher than the XA20's 35mbps bit rate.

I recommend the Canon XF100, on sale right now for $2499.  This is a camera with a broadcast quality codec.  It shoots at 4:2:2 MPEG-2 at 50mbps.  What that really means is that you can adjust or "grade" the color in the editing suite a lot more easily and get better results than with DSLRs or prosumer camcorders such as the XA20.

Here is a short film shot with the XF100:

http://vimeo.com/38481891 

Here is a music video:

http://vimeo.com/42512348

And here is a doc:

http://vimeo.com/25028901

If you don't need the large sensor "shallow depth of field look" or interchangeable lenses, at $2500, the XF100 is the best value for your money right now.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

That all sounds and looks real good…but my home suite is a Final Cut, which doesn't recognize Mpeg2 without conversion. I've edited projects where I had to convert every file and that can take a LOT of time.

Participant

Thank you for your responses. That is all great info. I am a Final Cut user as well. I didn’t realize that made a difference. I was given a copy of Final Cut for School.

Hi VTexan – for Final Cut owners, I recommend the JVC HM150 (on sale for $1995 at Adorama, $2015 at Amazon as of this post).  It shoots .mov at up to 35mbps and can be cut in FCP without transcoding or conversion.

Here is what this camera can do (Brazilian street parade):

vimeo.com/62649581

If you are willing to look at large sensor interchangeable lens cameras, the other camera I recommend is the $1249 (body only) Panasonic GH3.  It is a DSLR- type camera without a mirror – Panasonic calls them DSLMs.  It also shoots .mov up to 1080/60p and 50mbps – so no transcoding.  Here is what it can do in a similar setting:

This example was shot with the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 lens ($999 from Digitalrev) – so the camera plus lens is about the same price as a decent camcorder.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites β€” 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap