SMX-10 for engine sound?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Anyone use this outside to get car and motorcycle engine sound? Good results? Bad results?  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4454405&CatId=8611

Hi Johny – whatever you do, don't buy this mic for $103!  I have this mic – it's not the greatest mic in the world for $80 at Amazon – but for $103, it's a really bad deal.

If you're going to spend over $100 on a mic, you'll get a lot better results if you spend a few more dollars and get a used professional mic like this $170 Rode NTG2 or this $170 Audio Technica AT835b (this is the mic I use) – plus a $15 shock mount and a $15 Hosa MIT-156 XLR to 3.5mm transformer/adapter to plug the pro mic's XLR output into the mic jack on your camera or camcorder.

You will get much better sound from one of these pro mics than from any consumer or prosumer mic in this price range.

If you insist on getting a consumer mic, you should at least get a slightly used Rode Videomic for $125 instead of the Azden SMX-10.  The Azden is not a very good mic.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your engine sound project!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thank, Bill! I'm using whatever mic I get with GoPros, which are good sport cameras but everyone knows their mics are not good for engine sound especially in high speed wind. :/ Those links are great, I'll check them out more in depth in a minute! πŸ™‚

Participant

Johny2.5, have a look at this thread from a professional sound mixer forum.

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/10962-recording-race-car-engine-and-exhaust-sound-at-speed/?hl=car+engine

Mike

Participant

Thanks, Mike!

Participant

You're welcome Johny2.5. Good luck and please let us know what you end up using for a mic(s) to get the job done.

Mike

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap