Slow panning

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I see in many professional videos in which a long (as in 5 seconds or more) pan goes very very slow and very smooth…even with a very good fluid head, I am unable to maintain that constant slow speed….how is this done?

Geared heads on the tripods operated by cranks . . . . at least that was the standard for the big 35mm studio film cameras.

Hey not exactly what you are asking, but here is a good example of how it can be done on a budget: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVmFGrLNgXI

Justin Reto

klookfilm

Participant

Hey all,

Would great gear, years of shooting experience, video stabilizing software (like SmoothCam in FCP), and a whole lot of takes explain it?

That's what my experience tells me 🙂

Dan Bruns

. . . . of course, slow pans will look a lot better the wider the lense. very very hard to do with a longer lense.

Participant

It does take practice, a decent head and tripod, but here are a few more tips  (1)   Practice to get the right speed – at first you will tend to move too fast.   Slow right down.  Tighten head friction if available so you're pushing against it a bit.   (2) Try to hold your pan handle as lightly as possible – I often use just finger and thumb. (3) Find a stance that affects your panning hand as little as possible so you're not transferring weight to the tripod.  (4)  Try to zoom out as wide as poss for maximum smoothness (5)  Look at what you're seeing in the shot as you pan – there's no point in panning past stuff just for the sake of it.  Take it in and this will help you to slow down.   The pan should tell a story.  Pan from one composed shot to another – beginning/middle/end.  Think about what your pan is saying and practice it a few times.   By defining your movement in advance you will be able to get your body positioned in the best way for the shot you want.   And it'll be a better shot.     Hope that helps…

Frame rates, and progressive vs interlaced will have a lot to do with how smooth a pan will look. For instance ( this from a Panasonic manual ) : a 6.5 mm focal length, 90 degree pan, 24P, you have to take 21 seconds to execute a shot with no stutter or judder. At 30P, a smooth pan can be done in 16 seconds. When shooting interlaced or 50P or 60P you can smoothly pan at any speed.

Having realised how hard smoth motion is, I shoot 200% wide in 1080p

and then zoom in and move the frame in the edit program,

Participant

I was thinking perhaps it was done mechanically…

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap