Slider or Shoulder Mount?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’m a relative newbie to the video world but am at the point where I feel like I’m in need of some more dynamic, moving shots. I have been considering getting something like a slider.

However, all the online information I can find to read and videos on YouTube are about sliders for use with DSLRS, and my camera (AF100) is a dedicated video camera and much larger than a DSLR. Are sliders used with these too?

Another question: because the electronics of my camera don’t ‘talk’ to my lenses, I have no image stabilisation while filming. Does this mean opting for a shoulder mount to get shots with more movement would be a bit disastrous?

Thanks so much for any tips!!

Participant

How about a bit more information. What are you shooting? What problem(s) specifically are you trying to solve with a slider? Would a steady-cam type device give you greater stability, etc. There are a great many tools on the market the facilitate camera movement, but most are suitable for very specific situations.

Hi Jack – thanks for the reply. Currently I’m mostly shooting short online videos featuring single interviewees (eg craftspeople and producers) talking about their work, and overly of them working, their products, their surroundings.
    I’m trying to give them a modern feel, with some short DOF and other arty shots, and maybe some interesting colour grading. I just think my 100% tripod shots look a bit boring after a while. Any ideas?

Participant

Hi sabot-
    As Jack said, it depends on the type of shooting you’re doing. I do similar work as you, and recently acquired a slider. It makes a world of difference. Of course, you need to have something in the foreground for best results, just so viewers can see the movement. In addition, I’ve found that a monopod can give a nice smooth movement. Don’t go overboard with it, but it provides a nice floating feel sometimes. (Of course, you can always just put one leg of your tripod down to create a monopod.) That takes the jitters out of it. Other than that, a lot of takes and re-takes with constantly changing angles and framings will help liven up your edits.

Good shooting!

Dan
    Docucrew LLC

Participant

Hi again –

As for your other questions, yes, sliders are suitable for larger cameras, depending on how large it is. When shopping, look at the tech specs to see the weight limit of the slider in question. You may need a second tripod in some cases, especially for longer sliders. Don’t forget you’ll want a ballhead between your camera and the slider to adjust your shots, and those have weight limits, too.

Personally, I opted for a short slider, and have already used it with good results. I’ll have evidence once the edits are done …

Dan
    Docucrew LLC

As for no stabilization, with good technique you can do pretty well, provided you’re not zoomed in to the max. If you just get close and don’t zoom at all, plus use some stabilizing in post if needed, along with good skills, all should be fine.

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera on a hand held stabilizer

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
    homicide-bootstrap