Size of consumer camcorders

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have been shooting video for some time using camera sizes that felt good and comfortable. I notice that today's consumer camcorders are often the size of a credit card. How is one supposed to shoot adaquately with this type of camera. Can anyone recommend a larger -type consumer camcorder that has a 3 inch monitor, lens hood, Mic.& earphone inputs eetc.

Many thanks

Paul Boudreau

Montreal, Canada

Participant

Can't recommend a camera, but look up "camera pistol grip" at amazon.com We've used a grip such as those shown with great success, using a very small Sony camera. It's not as steady as using a tripod, of course, but it gives the shooter a good solid grip with one hand and the ability to further steady the camera with the other while using the zoom toggle.

Hi Paul – the Canon HF G10 ($1499.99 on amazon.ca and $1063.35 on ebay.ca) comes closest to meeting your needs.  It is much larger than a credit card πŸ™‚ and is a great HD prosumer camcorder.

It comes with a lens hood, 3.5" LCD, mic and headphone jacks and can produce images like these:

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

I use a vixia HF G10 quite a bit, its not as small as most ofthe consumer cams

and often use an old flash bracket for extra grip places when I use it on a mono pod with a ball head.

Participant

I use a Panasonic TM700 3MOS camcorder when I want an easy to use camcorder with small sensor and the new Sony NEX-VG900 full frame camcorder that is a not too large considering it has the largest sensor of any camcorder. I have both a Steadicam Merlin and a small rig with pistol grip and chest support to use if I need more stability.Both have mic and earphone inputs.

Participant

[quote=Acadia]

I have been shooting video for some time using camera sizes that felt good and comfortable. I notice that today's consumer camcorders are often the size of a credit card. How is one supposed to shoot adaquately with this type of camera. Can anyone recommend a larger -type consumer camcorder that has a 3 inch monitor, lens hood, Mic.& earphone inputs eetc.[/quote]

How is one supposed to shoot adaquately?  I would assume anyone would consider attachments to hold the cam better.  I just acquired the GoPro 3 (never had one before) and talk about annoying to shoot without attachments.  I had to find a vendor on ebay and purchased an aluminum hand-grip just to take simple shots.  And the GoPro 3 quality is really good for how small it is.  Keep in mind, those other small cams that are the size of a credit card have basically cheap small lens on most of them.  I recommend the GoPro for just about any action video.

Participant

[quote=Acadia]

I have been shooting video for some time using camera sizes that felt good and comfortable. I notice that today's consumer camcorders are often the size of a credit card. How is one supposed to shoot adaquately with this type of camera.

Many thanks

Paul Boudreau

Montreal, Canada[/quote]

As a lot of people are finding out the hard way it really cannot be done easily, and usually the first step they take to correct for the lack of ergonomics is to purchase some type of a rig, then they add counterbalances and then and then and then.

Basically it’s all lipstick on a pig and when it is all said and done one still has a pig.

And it is not just consumers who are making the same mistake, I am seeing more and more ENG being done, or should I say trying to be done with the likes of the Canon XF-100 or the Panasonic AG-AC130, which off the tripod are useless as tits on a boar for handheld full zoom shots of distance subjects. The problem is somewhere else in the station the bean counters are asking why spend $10K on a Panasonic AG-HPX500 or a JVC GY-HM790U when we can get just about the same specs for $2 or $3K, unfortunately for the cameraman, the bean counters don’t know, nor do they care about the differences between a handheld and a shoulder mounted camcorder.

Someday they might learn but that it isn’t today.

Wayne

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap