Should I use a field monitor

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi there

I am using a Sony HXR-NX30P semi pro camera. It has quite a good viewer, but recently I have been considering purchasing an external field monitor. I am wondering what the opinion of more experienced users might be as to the worth of this idea and also if I was to purchase one what models, size etc, should I Iook at with dollar value being high on my list. I would probably mount it to the side of my manfrotto MVH502AH fluid head.

Thanks for any help

Participant

I have a 7" Marshall monitor that I use with 2 Canon cameras. Adding a field monitor has made it easier for the people I work with to see whats going on. When I'm by myself I only use it when I've a static set up and I'm not in a rush, or just want to show a more impressive set-up. The most essential use I have for the monitor is in conjunction with a lanc controller when using a jib crane. So, IMHO, if you use a crane or regularly have people watching over your shoulder, get a monitor. If you don't, the fascination with them soon yields to set-up expediency. 

Participant

I have a cheap monitor that does the job. The delays are certainly annoying and the drop to 480 SUCKS, but a movable 7″ monitor is much easier to use on set than the 3″ LCD.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap