Should I film in HD for Students?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive
      Hello,

I'm starting to work in the area of Education I'm going to be making some educational videos for high school students.

My question is, should I shoot the videos in HD or regular standard videos?  Some students will be from low income families and my concern is that some of these students will not have the most current technology. I plan to upload the videos to a website and make the content available for free. I bought a Canon Rebel T3i and was going to use it to make videos but am now having second thoughts.  

A few questions:  If I shoot the videos in HD will all students be able to view the the videos on the internet?  Also, will they be able to view HD regarless if they have cable internet or DSL for their internet?  I heard that if people have older technology they can't view in HD.  Is that only for TVs?  Would a person be able to view a YouTube video made in HD on an old non-HD television?

If HD will be a problem for some students, then I'd just want to make the material available in standard video.  

Thanks in advance! πŸ™‚  
      ~ Johanna

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

In my opinion, you can go ahead and abandon SD in favor of HD for everything.

If I shoot the videos in HD will all students be able to view the the videos on the internet?

Yes. Sites like YouTube and Vimeo will offer low-resolution playback for those with slow connections.

Also, will they be able to view HD regarless if they have cable internet or DSL for their internet? Yes. See above.  

I heard that if people have older technology they can't view in HD. Is that only for TVs? Yes, though if you're burning to DVD, even that isn't a problem. DVD downscales HD video to SD.

Would a person be able to view a YouTube video made in HD on an old non-HD television? If they could somehow hook their computer, tablet, or internet enabled device to a non-HD TV, they should be able to view the video. The device itself should downscale for them.

Participant

I think you should shoot videos in HD because there are many techniques by which HD can be viewed easily on lowscales.

As Mike said it can be burnt on DVD so there should not be any problem to use HD.

Best Regards

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video β€” 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap