Shopping for Video Editing Software

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve been been looking to invest in a Video Editor, but throughout all my research it’s been difficult to figure out which one meets my needs. I want something capable of doing sky replacement, (so color correction), chroma key, and picture in picture. Sky replacement is important because I want to have videos with objects superimposed onto the horizon, tree line, etc. Also I’m looking for something that allows me to monetize what I create. As for my price range, aftereffects and premiere pro are way too much of an investment. Ideally I’d like to spend 100 dollars or less but I realize that may not be possible.

So my question is, does anyone here use a video editor that meets those criteria? I greatly appreciate all responses!

I use Sony Vegas Pro. That is out of line for what you want to spend, but you might check into their consumer line which is Sony Movie Studio 13. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp
      It has most of the features of Pro but limits you to several tracks instead of unlimited. Vegas has a relatively low learning curve as opposed to some other editing programs. I have used Vegas for years and am very satisfied.

There is “free” software. But not that expensive (round $100) you can buy Corel Videostudio Ultimate X9. 20 Overlay tracks, 8 soundtracks, PIP, colourcorrection, lots of tittles, multicamera, NewBlue effects, ProDad, Adorage….and yes I myself use it and I’m a big fan

Oh, I forgot, there is a full-function trial version: http://www.videostudiopro.com/en/products/videostudio/trial-thank-you.html?dwn=thankyou-vsp

Hey Don,

Your term “invest” in a video editor seems a bit overstated. You want advanced features in a starter price range. I have used Sony Vegas Pro for many years as well. I have recommended their Movie Studio Platinum to a number of friends as a good starter platform. It operates very similarly to Vegas and gives you some of its editing features and effects. In addition, it gives you an upgrade path to Vegas should you want the real-deal.

You will have to temper your expectations however. Under $100 is asking a lot for the features you want, especially when you are expecting to monitize your work. That’s where the upgrade path could come in very handy.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap