You're using a beta version of our new web site.

Shooting welding

Home Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques Shooting welding

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  cfxcorp 1 month ago.

• Author

I'm new to the forum so I hope that this post is in the correct place.

I'd be very grateful is anyone could tell me if there is any danger to camera sensors from shooting MIG welding. Naturally, I always use a UV filter over the lens to protect it from flying splatter but does the intense heat have a simmilar effect on cameras as it does on the human eye?

Many thanks if anyone has the answer to this.

JackWolcott
    Participant

Can't answer this from experience. This issue came up in a 2009 Videomaker Forum post: https://www.videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/filming-a-welder-need-filters, and there are several extended discussions if you Google "danger of videotaping welding."

soysaltine

I have shot different kinds of welding from different angles and variety of distance. I have to do it on a semi-regular basis. So far (knocking on wood), I have not had any issues. I have filters (ND and UV) on my camera. Its not just the heat you have to be careful of. You need to make sure you dont look into it as well. Your eyes can get "sunburn" which can hurt and be very irritable. I have read that it is possible to damage the camera, but so far I have not had that issue.

Thanks for the advice and leads. The general opinion seems to be that it's OK to shoot MIG welding. I have to admit that I have done this a few times to date but have always been a bit worried about its effects on the sensor. I now have a small project that centres on MIG so my worries have resurfaced and I now use a Sony FS5 which would not be cheap to replace. As I said in my original post, I always use a UV filter to protect the lens from weld splatter, spot weld sparks and angle grinder fall-out but the sensor is a different consideration.  

cfxcorp
    Participant

I used a Sony HD handycam to record several years ago without any issues. Sensors are not quite the same as the human eye and not subject to the same kind of damage. The electronics act as a buffer, not passing on the same light spectrum that causes the damage to the human eye.

Of course, check with the manufacturer, today’s optics and electronics are more advances than what I used 7 years ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.