Shooting SD with HDV Tape?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      McCord
      Participant

Quick question-

I have a Canon XL2 and was wondering if it is worth using the Panasonic AY-HDVM-AMQ compared to the AY-DVM-AMQ? Any quality difference at all? Thanks!

thinkbetter
      Participant

The HDVM will give you a better looking result. Better resolution. I have a an XL2  that produces good looking HD ( sometime rivals HD in the close up shots), but it's in the wide shot where you see the difference. Go with HD every time…….you won't be sorry.

imagrapher
      Participant

McCord…I made a mistatement…I meant to say that my XL2 produces good looking  SD (not HD) and  sometimes rivals HD in the close up( the resolution for XL2 is 720 x 480 which is considered low end SD even though we call it SD ). But  always shoot with an HD camera a much as possible.

SafeHarbor
      Participant

HDV tape at $10 a pop does not look any better than DV tape at $2 or $3 each. Digital is Digital. DATA is recorded to the tape, just ones and zeros. I've had HDV cameras for 5 years and have never used an "HDV tape". Have always used DV tape only to record HDV. 

So why do they make "HDV" tape? It is supposedly a higher grade of tape stock. This has NOTHING to do with video quality – the same digital ones and zeros get recorded the same to either tape. The ONLY difference would be less chance of a "dropout", or glitch in the recording, but I  rarely get any dropouts as it is.  And a speck of dust  on the record head is still a speck of dust regardless of tape stock being used and can still cause a dropout. So save your money and use a good grade of DV tape. Many swear by Sony DV Excellence. I've had good luck with the Pansonic DV63 professional stock. 

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Digital Vision

SafeHarbor
      Participant

After 8 years of only ever using DV tape in my two HDV camcorders..yep, pretty confident. If anyone tells you that HDV tape will record a “better picture” or “better resolution” they are full of beans.

Consider this: you have a video clip, say an .mp4 file. You have multiple copies on hard drive, USB stick, CD data disc, SD card, cloud. ALL copies will be identical quality – it’s a digital file. Like a Word doc – the text doesn’t change when you copy to a different device, right? Same with DV versus HDV tape stock. SAME content on either. As mentioned in earlier post, supposedly less chance of the occasional dropout if using HDV tape for HDV recording, otherwise it’s marketing hype to get more money from the consumer. Stick an “HDV” label on a DV tape and triple the price…

I won’t argue for a moment that back in the day when I started in video shooting ANALOG (Hi8, SVHS) that quality tape stock recorded a better image than cheaper tapes. It mattered due to the way the analog signal was recorded to tape. But apples and oranges, we are now talking DATA with DV and HDV recordings, and ones and zeroes are always ones and zeroes on any tape stock. Many years ago, I would shoot DVCAM video onto $45 Sony DVCAM-184 cassettes, then make Firewire dubs to a cheap Digital8 HandyCam using Hi8 tape stock. SAME IMAGE recorded to either tape, identical data, different medium is all.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
      Digital Vision

McCord
      Participant

Thank you! I wasn't sure if it would be worth using HD tape on an SD camera but since you have first hand experience with the Canon XL2 I'm going to take your word for it- I appreciate your input πŸ™‚

Happy Filmmaking-

imagrapher
      Participant

Are you still sure about the no real diff between DV and HDV tape ? HDV tape getting hard to find now and only seems to be
      available at a few places.

Trevor
      Participant

HDV tape and Mini-DV tape are one and the same. The only difference may be that if you use a regular consumer level tape vs. one marketed as a professional level or Master Quality tape is that you may experience a few more drop outs on the consumer-level tape than the Master tapes, but in the past I’ve found that both have performed the same. And the brand may effect your performance. In the past, just in SD recording Mini-DV, I found that Maxell-branded tapes, both consumer and Master tapes, provided a great video, whereas JVC-branded tapes I found had a lot more drop-outs.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Professional Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses β€” 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN