Shooting locations, advice please

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

OK so I have been doing alot of research on how to run a video production business that I am trying to Launch.

I found a talent managment group in my area, AMS, they have all the profiles and list of talent on there website with sample video, this should make finding actors easy enough for me.

cople of  questions

1. What do you think of facebook cast calling for commercials, and what would be just some sort of estimate on how much to pay the actors. When is it most appropiate to pay the actors, when the project is finished, or right after the acting

2. I notived in an already established firm, some commercials have shots that are in houses, where did they get access to different houses, is it there house, ive seen like 4 different ones, and i know these guys are young, one scene was a person laying in bed, so im wondering, did the actors allow them to shoot in their houses, that seems highly unlikely, did they pay someone to use their house, or was this simply working out a deal with someone to let them shoot in their house

3. I have a contract worked out, talent release form, location release form, is there any other client based forms i need? i probably need a seperate contract for the actors right?

4. do you guys know anything about like renting studio space, if do tell me what know

any advice you give me what so ever will be helpful, i only took 2 years of college on tv production, which really was aimed at placing into a 4 year of into a news station, so although i am projecting a business like front, alot of this business side was not taught to me and i have had to researched it, but im having a hard time finding some it with out paying money for an online class

Thanks in advanced Josh!

Josh,

I don't advise using FB for casting calls. The potential for having a flash mob or worse show up is too great. If you're looking for a free production source online, try mandy.com they are a primary source for advertising casting calls and more. Just so you know, you get one free announcement a month and there's a fee for any more than that.

If you want to know how much to pay actors, go to the SAG AFTRA website (sagaftra.org) and check their current wage scale listings. If you're planning on hiring union actors and talent, you'll need to set up an agreement with the unions for them to authorize the work. The rules are binding once you agree so you better have your funding, working conditions and much more squared away or your production will be in for a world of hurt. If you either can't affort union talent or don't want to hassle with a union agreement, you can still hire non-union talent. Base your pay on a percentage of the union scale (but don't get too cheap or no one with skill will want to work for you!) You will still have to comply with state and federal hiring regulations and still have to have a contract or agreement made up stipulating plainly what is and is not expected during their preparation, performance and any needed post-production performances. If for whatever reason there needs to be any level of undress if not nudity, you'll need a separate clause breaking down in detail what will be required and what extra compensation will be offered if any.

Truthfully, you sound like you need to do quite a bit more research before you make a move in this direction. It wouldn't hurt for you to partner up with a producer who has a grip on this part of the business to help you get the ball rolling smoothly.

Currently the closest actors guild branch location is 3 hours away, I'm in syracuse NY which is the 88th largest market in the US. There isn't an actors guild presence in syracuse that I know of, I will call them to find out as much information as I can though. I did find though a management group called AMS is present in the city, I can get actors from their site, which of course I will have a project specific contract ready for the actors.

Currently there are only 2 successful production firms who actually do good work in this city, solon Quinn studios, and ottovon media.

Solon Quinn actually cast calls on Facebook, but they have people auditioning for the part before they actually shoot.

Syracuse is not a large market, but it's large enough to have a substantial need for video production, there are only 2 competing firms and plenty of untapped business, you could say its like a fresh gold mine here ready for a talented young individual like me to mine.

So far I have  planned out the whole production process, and have several guys who are willing to assist me in shoots.

I am thinking of casting any extra's through Facebook, I will not disclose any information as to location of shooting to anyone till I cast them into a position, this should prevent any flash mobs if nobody knows where it will happen till they are contracted for the position.

as for teaming up with a producer, I don't know any producers who were in the commercial production side of the business, the team at solon quinn are all about 28, I am 20. What really made solon quinn successful is they actually do quality work, in a market where nobody did anything quality till them. I believe I can do greater quality then them, to me it's only a matter of time and expirence, but I would like my startup to role smoothly.

One key you pointed out is more research, I am 20, but I really need to project a professionally front and show people that even though I am young, I am reliable, professional, and "know what I am doing". As for my talent, I should have about 10 commercials produced before I really launch, that will be really good quality.

Thanks for the Advice!

Still looking for anyone who might have an answer for and official standard practice of finding shooting locations like houses to do shoots in, I mean I can always pay people I know good money to shoot in their house, and have them sign a contract for a location release form, but if theres a more official way to find locations that the industry uses, then I would most certainly want to know about it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap