Sharing project file

kave_a's picture

Hi

I'm a freelance video editor and I've always worked on my own, I just got hired by a Media company to work fulltime,
we haven't discuss this matter yet, so I wanted to have an idea before confronting them,
"Should I give my project file (premier or after effects) to the company for each project, because personally I don't like anyone to go through my project files as I thing it's private and it contains my signature. Is there a clear line here and what is my right"

I appreciate your answers
best regards

KAVE

kave_a's picture

thanks in advance 

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

I am not an attorney. That said, I believe you are in a situation known as "work for hire." The U.S. Copyright Office explains it this way: "According to copyright law in the United States and certain other copyright jurisdictions, if a work is "made for hire", the employer—not the employee—is considered the legal author. In some countries, this is known as corporate authorship. The entity serving as an employer may be a corporation or other legal entity, an organization, or an individual."

My understanding is that under the law the company that has hired you owns anything you produce on company time -- footage you shoot, edited work and doodles on your lunch napkin. In some circumstances it may also own anything you produce outside of company time as well. This is certainly why many videographers prefer to work as independant contractors rather than work for hire. Obviously all of this can be and should be negotiated in your contract with the company. I would certainly have an attorney go over any contract before signing.