Sennheiser MKH-416 Mic High Frequency Problem?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Sennheiser MKH-416 Mic High Frequency Problem?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Recently when I use my Sennheiser MKH-416 mic, there is always a boost of high frequency noise (11kHz+,  -55dB),  which cost me a lot of time and effort in post-production.  

So I tried to conduct a experiment, using a K6/ME66 mic to compare with the  MKH-416.  In the experiment,  I used Sound Devices 702T,  and made everything else as controlled variables (time / place / direction/ gain/ input terminals… ).  However, no matter how the independent variables changed, the high frequency noise was always there.

Have you come across the same problem?  Is it an inherent self-noise of MKH-416?  Do you know how to fix it?

Thanks for your answer in advance.

Participant

I've never heard of a 416 doing this and browsed a few pro audio forums with no one reporting it.

I'd recommend a trip to the mothership (i.e. back to the factory for an overhaul) to repair the problem.

If you live in or near a major city, there are pro audio shops such as Trew Audio, Professional Sound Services and Gotham Sound to name a ferw that may be able to help.

You can also try posting this question on http://jwsoundgroup.net/, a forum for audio professionals who do this for a living and see if anyone there has any other suggestions.

Mike

The 416 requires 48vdc phantom power. Are you sure you are getting 48v to the mic? I would assume the Sound Devices supplied 48v phantom . . .  but is there provision to switch the mic power to something less?

Participant

Melody Zhao, were you ever able to determine the cause of the hiss? I have the same problem and even Sennheiser was unable to help me.
      I know this was posted 4 years ago, but I can’t find anyone with a similar problem anywhere but here.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to choose the right computer for video editing: 4 key specs to check

Buying the best workstation for your needs means understanding how the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage options work together to enhance overall performance.
homicide-bootstrap