Send video through 120 feet of cable, how?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,
      I have been asked to provide a video feed (I assume its NTSC Std def) to a remotely located projector.  Since 120' is a fairly long cable run, what sort of cable to I need and do I need any additional amplifiers or other equipment?  

I can also provide other formats such as HDMI and RGB if either of those is a better choice.  But at this point I don't know what projector will be used as it is not my choice.  The signal source will be a Sony HVR-Z7u camera.
      Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice,
      Jaimie Charlton

for this setup I use RG-6 Coax and send it trough a Video Distribution Amplifier( in my case a 1 in to 5 out or 1 to 10).

my set up would be

Cameras to switcher

Switcher to recorder (my switcher has 2 outs)

Switcher to Distribution Amp (DA)

DA out 1 to recorder

DA out 2 to backup recorder

DA to Projector 1

DA to Projector 2

DA to Backstage Monitor

miles of cable but works great!

probably more info than you wanted but…

Regards

Robert

This may be too late but here it goes anyway.
    You can send video (+ audio too) a long distance (300+ feet) over a Cat5 network cable.
    I do it all the time at our church for a remote feed.
    We don’t do the audio as we have the sanctuary audio already being distributed throughout the building.

All you need is the Cat5 network cable and two Baluns.
    My baluns convert the Svideo signal to a Cat5 compatible signal.
    So my connections are as follows:
    Camera Svideo out via Svideo cable
    Svideo cable into balun
    Cat5 out of balun to the other balun
    Svideo cable out of 2nd balun
    Into the projector’s Svideo in port

I bought the baluns on eBay.
    There are many versions for many types of signals so pick the type that best suits your needs.
    Match the baluns with the best signal that the camera can send to the projector.

Hope that helps
    Claude

Participant

Thank you for the suggestions, I am still trying to learn exactly what signal format the remotely-located projector needs.  I'm sure one of these methods will work.

Regards,

Jaimie

Participant

120 feet is nothing for NTSC SD when using good RG-59 from Belden or Canare.  On remotes, I've run several hundred feet with no problem.  There is more heavily shielded cable that is rated for longer runs for HD and SD.  Some of the stuff is pretty stiff but really, 120 feet is gravy.

Participant

I would say check whether if projector has a SDI input first, as this will help the signal transfer better. If you don't have that, then consider HDMI as an option. RGB is analog singal, once it's more than 60 feet the signal start to lose.

Clark Wang

Video Production Shanghai

I would converted to fiber, it is easy and inexpensive those days.
    Or there are SDI or HDMI coax modulator QAM or ATSC, You can feed this video to many TV’s a the same time, because it is being send as your own RF TV channel,

like this one
    http://www.thormodulators.com/products/4-x-hdmiypbprcvbs-to-qamatsc-encodermodulator,id-220

Participant

100ft of proper cable for composite is usually fine – I’ve got that length as a permanent run in a theatre and it’s stable and the loss not an issue for the sync pulse.

Participant

Thanks Robert,  That's what I need.  I wasn't sure if I needed coax or some other type of cable and whether or not an amplifier is necessary for that distance.

Regards,

Jaimie

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap