Selective Copy of AVCHD Files?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Is there a way to safely control which AVCHD files are copied from an SD Card to an editing computer?

I have been shooting AVCHD (on a Panasonic AC130) for about three months. Up to now, I have simply copied the entire AVCHD folder structure oover to my computer, and I then import the shots I need into Premiere Pro. All of the shots on the card, even those I don't import into Premiere Pro, are on my computer, and ultimately my backup media.

I just finished a shoot with a lot of retakes (a lot of retakes!), and I'd like to copy only the good takes over to my editing computer. I know that I can't simply grab the MTS files of the good takes–my question is, how can I selectively copy only the good ones? Is there a Windows app that will do that? Some other way?  I don't want to transcode, since my computer works well with AVCHD, and I'd like to avoid the compression cycle.

Thanks for your help.

Participant

My camera, a sony AX2000 came with software that allows me to preview all the seperate files and select the ones I want before downloading to my computer. I know this does not help you but does Panasonic have similar software?

Here is another good approach I found:

Adobe Prelude (part of the CC suite) can selectively ingest (copy) MTS files and their supporting files, all in the required folder structure. It also has some other handy features I knew nothing about, including copying to a backup location as it ingests. Always wondered if the program was of any use–now I know.

The issue doesn't come up in FCP, since it doesn't work in AVCHD as a native format. Instead, it transcodes to its native format.

Participant

I have CS 5.5 I never used Prelude let alone even know if I got it. I use Premier Pro, After Effects and Audition for disks. Glad my comments on included software for a camera helped you.

Good call, and thanks! I did some more hunting around, and Panasonic's AVCCAM Viewer (Ver 1.1) will selectively copy from SD card to computer. I had it on my hard drive the entire time, and assumed it was only a viewer app.

The app can be downloaded from Panasonic's Pro Video website.

Didn't know I had it until yesterday. Played around with it a bit last night, and it has some interesting features. Nice logging features, which transport into Premiere Pro.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap