Rendering Video from Two Cameras

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm a newbie to video production and technique. I'm doing some research and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for – probably because i don't know the right terms to describe it. I hope someone can point me in the right direction – Google and other sources have not led me there…

If I have two video cameras shooting the same subject from two seperate angles, such as a human face being shot from the front-left and the other from the front-right, I know that there must be some way to render a type of stereoscopic video as if the video were shot with one camera directly in front of the subject. What is the terminology for this, and where can I read about what is required to do such rendering?

Stereoscopic rendering seems to be mainly about 3D video, and that is not what I am after – I just want to research techniquest to render a video that is apparently shot with one camera directly in front of a subject, when in fact it is shot by a cameras on either side of the subject. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Participant

Don't quite understand what you are after.  Why not just put one camera in  front of your subject if that is the effect you are looking for?

I don't know of any current technology that can do what you want. I assume you can't get a camera directly in front of your subject. I'd suggest getting one camera as close to center as you can, and go with that. Most books recommend shooting subject somewhat off center. With the right lighting (key light on the short side of the face, fill on the long), it looks more dimensional.

I'm not sure why you are going at it this way. If your editing machine can do it, just put them side by side and merge them til you get half and half.

Don, I know you're intent is NOT 3D, but I've added info below.  It seems you want two angles of the same subject, right?   Is it an overlay you want so both images are present?  If you're trying to get 3D from the angles you've posted, then, sorry, you can't accomplish that to 3D.  It's a mis-match.  If you want to do a split screen, yes, you can do that in any video editing program.  Please, re-submit more detail or an example that we can then comment on to help you along.

If your intent is 3D, you're going about it all wrong.  IF 3D IS your intent, you need to put BOTH video cameras on a solid rig.  Just like your eyes, you need to place both cameras about the same distance apart making sure both cameras are aiming EXACTLY at the same point (lots of adjustments).

Knowing you can't hit the record buttons at the same time, once both cameras are running, either make a loud clap so the sound is picked up by both cameras or click off a flash from your still camera, so you can sync both clips on each timeline.

As for the 3D effect, you can buy (free trial period) Sony's Movie Studio http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio  Check the other versions for their bells and whistles.

Movie Studio IS 3D friendly and has video tutorials, plus YouTube had plenlty of tutorials to help you along.  Another plus is http://forums.creativecow.net/sonyvegasbasics there, you can ask and get answers, from PRO videographers, to assist you.

* You don't need a 3D monitor, just your monitor you're using now.  But, you will need decent red/cyan paper glasses to preview your 3D effect.   Once you've rendered out your project (make a short, simple test video first), you can upload (render your test to MP4 for your test) it to a USB thumb drive and take it to a friend, family member to view on their 3D TV.  If all else fails, take your  thumb drive to a electronics store and let them insert and play the clip for you.

Good luck!

Participant

You can better go with shooting subject somewhat off center or  by side and merge them til you get half and half.

Participant

Is it possible that what  You are trying to do is  called compositing? This is a process where two videos are placed one over the top of the other. Depending on the video software you are using you will find that you can put one video into one of the timelines and other video into another, below, timeline. Provided you have a point that you can reference everything to, this is usually a clapping sound so that you can line the two audio tracks, but if you don't have audio then you will need to have a light flash or some other point-this is what a clapping board is used for. In most professional editing suites you will be able to set the compositing level of the top video so that the other video shows through underneath. How effective your resulting picture will be will depend on things like the lighting, background elements and whether there is a lot of detail in the background of your subject. Try to have a very simple background, I hope this helps.

Participant

On the other hand, if you are trying to get a split screen system you will begin in the same place. Drop your two videos into two new layers in your editing program and then search for the split screen effect. Depending on what video program you have got this can be relatively easy. One of the pictures will be on the left-hand side of the screen and the other on the right-hand side.

Participant

Video compositing  everyday example can be seen during the weather forecast on the evening news. When you watch it on TV, it looks like the weatherperson is standing in front of a radar weather map, but in all likelihood, that map is actually a blank wall. The key factor for your video quality will be  things like the lighting, background elements.

Participant

This is one type of composting called green screen composting but it is a little more complex than just mixing the picture to get two ghost angles of the same person sinked together. To have one person fade from two angles requires some lighting and exposure skill, but this is not 3D it is a form of composting that has been around since film was double exposed to give the impression of two things happening at once.

Is Don2013 even interested or going to give us an idea of what he wants to achieve?

Participant

In green screen composting you must know r Camera, Chroma Subsampling, and exact  lighting levels.Blue and green screens are traditionally used in chroma key compositing because they are colors that do not commonly occur in human skin tones.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap