Rendering for DVD, am I in for a surprise?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Please bare with me.

I have been into Photography and short videos [You Tube] using Go-Pros, Canon S-95 [surprisingly good] and Canon 5D Mark II.

We live on the road, my Dog and I, camp full time for the past over 6 years and started thinking, what a shame not to make a Documentary of all the beautiful spaces we go to on our motorcycle with the sidecar. Like maybe a one hour DVD.

That said I am being loaned a Sony HXR NX30 [it was that one or the Canon CA XA 10], fluid head tripod and all for one Year.

I use right now Premiere Element 9 but a free Vega software will be available with this camera.

I am however realizing making a DVD versus a video is a totally different ball game. I have burned videos on DVD-R and it looks good through my laptop. I don't of course own a TV so will have to find someone that will want to watch with us!

So far this is what I have come up with and please correct me if I am wrong as this is a two part aspect, one the camera and one the software.

Camera
      Set on "progressive recording", 24fps, speed "50".
      Maybe "Cinematone" choice. [camera will be here in a week, reason I wrote maybe]
      No problem with apertures.

Must record Sound in PCM [tried burning a Disc, PE9 would burn it only in Dolby and there was no sound!]
      Is there any advantage to record in higher than 720×480 which is a DVD format?

Software
      Must be rendered in PCM [versus Dolby]
      Interlaced

When I start a project [short video] I am now setting
      Full HD 1080i 30

Should it be
      AVCHD LITE 720p24

Since I will be shooting at 24fps and burn to DVD?

When I now render a project [of course saviing the file on the laptop]

MPEG with "presets" of HD 720p 30

Should it be maybe NTSC DVD Widescreen?

So, am I on the right track? I did do some search on this Forum on similar topics but did not quite understand it all [if much!].

What would be wrong if saved into a File and then burned to a DVD? I did try that, I had sound and the image was much sharper.

Last question. What does Architect Studio do that PE9 won't?

Hope all this has and is not as confusing as it sounds to me!

Thank You.

Stay well, Ara and Spirit

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Ara Gureghian

WOW…simply wow. You have one heck of a story to tell that if you market it right I bet you could even get a series on the Discovery Channel.  I got like a dozen ideas for you to explode, but for know let me focus on your DVD questions.

Camera:

You can record with any camera you want with the settings of your choice. I record in 1920×1080 and later down convert to 720×480 in post. As for sound it does not matter which format it records to because you can later change it to a DVD ready codec in PE9.

Software

The important part here is exporting your video to 720×480, preferably using MPEG2 DVD format. Note that if you export on HD 720p 30 the DVD will note be able to read all the pixels because it goes over the 720×480 standard. Any video that your going to make for a DVD needs to be exported to this standard.

What would be wrong if saved into a File and then burned to a DVD?

I always make a DVD disc image first before burning any disc. In fact I recommend doing this because if you get any errors you will have not wasted a DVD disc. The sound and the image from this file should look and be heard the same as the image when you export into a DVD. Of course be aware that the DVD will not look and be heard the same on different TV's and DVD players.  

What does Architect Studio do that PE9 won't?

DVD Architect Studio is a DVD authoring software especially design to make DVD's. Here you can create buttons, themes and export to DVD (or disk image). PE9 is a video editing software which is used to edit all your clips into one final video. This video is later exported from PE9 (preferably in MPEG2 DVD) into DVD Architect Studio.

Hope this helps

Participant

WOW…simply wow. You have one heck of a story to tell that if you market it right I bet you could even get a series on the Discovery Channel.  I got like a dozen ideas for you to explode, but for know let me focus on your DVD questions.

Thank You. We just happen to be "out" every day, taking on Mother Nature and a lot of thoughts and growth. I am 65. Now.

Camera:

You can record with any camera you want with the settings of your choice. I record in 1920×1080 and later down convert to 720×480 in post.

I can do that easily, will have to get a video converter.

As for sound it does not matter which format it records to because you can later change it to a DVD ready codec in PE9.

That I have not found.

That would be in the final settings NTSC DVD Widescreen. [?]

Software

The important part here is exporting your video to 720×480, preferably using MPEG2 DVD format. Note that if you export on HD 720p 30 the DVD will note be able to read all the pixels because it goes over the 720×480 standard. Any video that your going to make for a DVD needs to be exported to this standard.

OK

What would be wrong if saved into a File and then burned to a DVD?

I always make a DVD disc image first before burning any disc. In fact I recommend doing this because if you get any errors you will have not wasted a DVD disc. The sound and the image from this file should look and be heard the same as the image when you export into a DVD. Of course be aware that the DVD will not look and be heard the same on different TV's and DVD players. 

I have to look into that as I don't know how to do it.

What does Architect Studio do that PE9 won't?

DVD Architect Studio is a DVD authoring software especially design to make DVD's. Here you can create buttons, themes and export to DVD (or disk image). PE9 is a video editing software which is used to edit all your clips into one final video. This video is later exported from PE9 (preferably in MPEG2 DVD) into DVD Architect Studio.

Would need a tutorial on that too!

I need to call again the DVD makers as, as far as Audio they are only accepting PCM which PE9 does not give me a choice. However, with the camera comes a free copy of Sony Vegas which will give me that ability.

Hope this helps

This helps a lot. I appreciate it. Quite different from Photography specially when wanting DVD's. Still have to figure out how long I can fit in.

Never been a "Commercial Person". Many have approched us with ideas but have never done anything. I looked at your website, very interesting. Kind of on the other side of our own Spectrum but we need people like you. Maybe we can talk further if you have ideas or how to go about this. You have my e mail on our Journal. I am also going to call other DVD re-producers just to get a better idea about this audio thing!
      Thanks again. Ara and Spirit

Participant

Lomaymi…

Going forward this morning.

Very refreshing to have been able having a great conversation with Discmakers. [I hope it is OK to put up their link]. They have been a huge help with such a personal attention. Refreshing as it has been your own reply.

Since we live on the road in a tent and use mainly Libraries and Cafes for Internet connections, once this project is done and edited I am going to let them do the Authoring. I think it will be worth the Peace of mind and will be done right. I can also also shoot in a high HD format and not worry about the Audio or anything else for that matter.

In the meantime this does not mean I am not learning how to burn some footage on a DVD which I will Author myself for short clips [10 to 15 minutes, and let them replicate some] to sell while on the road with my Postcards for fuel money.

Well, that is the update from this today windy Texas Desert!

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

That would be in the final settings NTSC DVD Widescreen. [?]

If the NTSC DVD Widescreen is the export format (basically the last step on your video editing) then it will be the file required for the disc authoring software.

I can do that easily, will have to get a video converter.

Check out MPEG Streamclip, a free video converter which is surprisingly good.

Never been a "Commercial Person". Many have approched us with ideas but have never done anything.

Although what you do can be commercialized heavily I see it more like a preservation of American history from the eyes of an experience traveller. There is so much video content that you can create in your travels, so many people you can meet, their struggles, way of life and best of all you have a dog partner accompanying you on your travels. It's quite simply a beautiful combination to tell many unforgettable stories. If you want to pursue this all you need is a basic video guideline to follow in each of your videos. I'm not talking about a script, but a template you and your audience can follow which will change in each of your travels (because your in a different environment, culture, etc). If you like I would be honored to talk with you about it. My email is blog@lomaymi.com

Hope this helps and happy travels

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2021

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap