Render HD so it fills the screen – not 16:9

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

I am hoping you could help with my current problem.

I am filming HD on Canon XF100 and download mxf into Sony Vgas 11.

I haven't been able to figure out how to render this out so that dvd fills the screen, I have adjusted the timeline view so that it is full screen but always have 16:9 widescreen when rendered.

Any ideas?

So, to be clear, are you just trying to crop a 4:3 aspect ratio out of a 16:9 aspect ratio? Or did you record in 4:3?

Do you mean 1920×1080, not 1060? If your verticle resolution is actually 1060, then there would definitely be black bars on the top and bottom, although they would be thin ones. 

4:3 aspect ratio is what the old square-ish, standard definition CRTs had. It doesn't really have anything to do with what type of media it is burned to. If the 4:3 aspect ratio is really what you want, you'll first want to change those settings in File, Properties, just so when you're editing, you can edit in that aspect ratio. Then, when you go to render, you will need to change the render settings to that aspect ratio there as well. 

Participant

Unless you're rendering this for old tube TV sets, you want to render in 16:9 mode which Vegas can do very easily.

Make sure to choose Best mode for your renders as you;re downsizing and this mode will ensure the best quality.

In the MPEG-2 render settings, choose "stretch to fill output aspect" (or something along those lines) as this will get rid of the tiny slivers of black on the left and right side edges.

You don't say how long your project is. My rule of thumb is to to use a custom MPEG-2 CBR setting of 8,000,000 for anything under 70 min. long.

If it's longer than that, use a bitrate calculator to determine optimum settings and do it as a 2-pass render.

Render the audio separately using the Dolby DIgital AC-3 template. Give both your video and audio files the smae name and render them to the same folder. That way, when oyu load your video file into DVD Architect, the audio file will automatically follow.

Finally, you're going from HD to SD (approximately 6X less information) so there will be a quality drop that can only be avoided by burning it to Blu ray.

Mike

Participant

Ron, 32 bit mode is used primarily if you're into a lot of compositing which I'm not so I don't worry about it and stay with 8 bit.

Glenn CHan has a great article on his site about color spaces in Vegas

http://www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/colorspaces/colorspaces.html

Happy reading.

Mike

Hi MCROCKETT,

Flmed in HD1920x1060 which looks like 16:9 and would like to render to dvd so there are no black bars top and bottom,i.e. picture fills the screen, which I presume is 4:3, using sony vegas 11 and dvd architect. I was hoping that there was a way to do this without cropping, I guessed there should be or how do all those HD DVD's out there get done?

Thanks for response,

Ron.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for yor succinct and useful comments, which I am now integrating!

During my delving, I have come across difering statements on a particular point which I have no idea about the significance of, i.e. Pixels: 32 bit etc…(video) or (full) would you by any change know what this is about, and why some reccommend one over the other? In my scenario I I have it on full just bcause I know no different!

Thanks,

Ron.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap