Recovering audio from video files 5D Mark II/Rode Videomic Pro

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Recovering audio from video files 5D Mark II/Rode Videomic Pro

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi I was shooting a wedding with my Canon 5D Mark II and Rode Videomic Pro. After, when I was going through my video there wasn’t any audio playback. After checking my camera the audio somehow was disabled. Is there any way to recover the audio? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Participant

No. If the audio wasn't recorded — i.e., "disabled," then there's no audio to recover.

Participant

If your recording something as non repeatable as a wedding you should adopt a "belt and braces" approach. Use a seperate audio recorder to simultaniously record all audio. It can be as cheap as a Zoom H1 (around $99). Won't help you with this event ,but will stop you having future problems. You will get better sound anyway with this approach. Use an external (Lav) mic with the H1for even better results.

Participant

Here's a thought on how to salvage this mess: ask the bride and groom to record their vows again for you and use this as a voice over. You don't need to make an attempt to sync their vows with the video you have — treat it as what it is. Then cut the remainder of the video to appropriate music.

If there are toasts during the reception, see if you can get a couple of them recorded as VO too. We've done this on two or three occasions to help couples salvage wedding videos that they have had friends record for them and it can work surprisingly well.

Another approach would be to have the bride and groom, or perhaps the mothers of the b&g narrate the entire wedding. Use ambient sound from another wedding you've shot — e.g., pre-ceremony sound from the inside of the church, background sound from the reception — to give the audio some depth. Think outside the box; take advantage of your creativite talents. You can make this work and make your clients happy too.

Participant

ron003, the original poster said “the audio somehow was disabled”. To me that means that nothing was recorded which means there’s nothing to recover. It’s happened to me before too and it always comes down to operator error πŸ™

Mike

I was recording a video and the camera person i was using never noticed the warning audio; to indicate the camera battery is dying, recorded with the dialogue from the camera mic. Is there a way of disabling the camera warning sound and recovering the audio from the speeches?

Participant

Try Bitwar Data Recovery, which is simple to use and works well in video and audio recovery

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera on a hand held stabilizer

Best camera stabilizers for video β€” 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap