recording live concerts with GoPro cameras

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Open Forum recording live concerts with GoPro cameras

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am pretty much a one man band on this so I was wondering  how to make this happen. Has anyone here ever done a live concert switch with all GoPro cameras? Advice welcome. Thanks.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Sounds like quite a project. So you're planning on running a live feed from a bunch of GoPros to a switcher? I know you can send live video out from the Hero 3, but I'm not sure it's 1080p. We have one here in the office. I'll see if I can figure it out.

GoPro's can look good, it just that they just require a lot of light to do it, so as much as I love them I would not recommend them in this situation, if your trying to do more of a budget project, I think the best way to go it would be to get a few low-med cost HD cams and some Cat5 video extenders $40-150, this would let you have 3-5 cameras all over the venue some fixed and some with operators and long cable runs while keeping control from a directors viewpoint.  

Having done this a few times without a Directors overview you can get song sections where you don't have good coverage that make the whole exercise a total waste of time, throw in a second hand video mixer/Switcher and a video capture card/dongle on your laptop and as soon as  the shows done you've got a first draft edit that you come back and drop in any other shots/fixes.

Secondly have you any plans of sound capture? I would be doing a minimum of Stereo desk out and Stereo room mic's (Zoom H4n).

Here are some of my live music videos, I'm using 2 DSLR's Canon 60d's and recording 24tks of audio to Tascam DM3200/cubase so I can mix the audio afterwards, also as we only had 2 cam's we shot live and then afterwards) got them to play along with the recording so we could get an extra pass (Cheating I know)

DEMOS

Participant

Thanks Mike for replying. I had forgotten that I posted this. You are exactly right. I want to get about 5 gopro cams and connect them to a switcher and get an audio feed from the audio board. It is hard to try and figure out because I don't have any equipment now to work with. I want to see if it is possible before investing any money into it. I know to get everything I need will cost a nice amount. If I get it going, I will use it for some side gigs and nothing really major.

Participant

Thanks Peter for replying. Great work. I want to get about 5 gopro cams and connect them to a switcher and get an audio feed from the audio board. If I get it going, I will use it for some side gigs and nothing really major. As I said earlier I am a one man band so the idea of being able to do that by myself is what I am trying to accomplish.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap