recording live concerts with GoPro cameras

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Open Forum recording live concerts with GoPro cameras

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am pretty much a one man band on this so I was wondering  how to make this happen. Has anyone here ever done a live concert switch with all GoPro cameras? Advice welcome. Thanks.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Sounds like quite a project. So you're planning on running a live feed from a bunch of GoPros to a switcher? I know you can send live video out from the Hero 3, but I'm not sure it's 1080p. We have one here in the office. I'll see if I can figure it out.

GoPro's can look good, it just that they just require a lot of light to do it, so as much as I love them I would not recommend them in this situation, if your trying to do more of a budget project, I think the best way to go it would be to get a few low-med cost HD cams and some Cat5 video extenders $40-150, this would let you have 3-5 cameras all over the venue some fixed and some with operators and long cable runs while keeping control from a directors viewpoint.  

Having done this a few times without a Directors overview you can get song sections where you don't have good coverage that make the whole exercise a total waste of time, throw in a second hand video mixer/Switcher and a video capture card/dongle on your laptop and as soon as  the shows done you've got a first draft edit that you come back and drop in any other shots/fixes.

Secondly have you any plans of sound capture? I would be doing a minimum of Stereo desk out and Stereo room mic's (Zoom H4n).

Here are some of my live music videos, I'm using 2 DSLR's Canon 60d's and recording 24tks of audio to Tascam DM3200/cubase so I can mix the audio afterwards, also as we only had 2 cam's we shot live and then afterwards) got them to play along with the recording so we could get an extra pass (Cheating I know)

DEMOS

Participant

Thanks Mike for replying. I had forgotten that I posted this. You are exactly right. I want to get about 5 gopro cams and connect them to a switcher and get an audio feed from the audio board. It is hard to try and figure out because I don't have any equipment now to work with. I want to see if it is possible before investing any money into it. I know to get everything I need will cost a nice amount. If I get it going, I will use it for some side gigs and nothing really major.

Participant

Thanks Peter for replying. Great work. I want to get about 5 gopro cams and connect them to a switcher and get an audio feed from the audio board. If I get it going, I will use it for some side gigs and nothing really major. As I said earlier I am a one man band so the idea of being able to do that by myself is what I am trying to accomplish.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap