Recording in two different formats mistake

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      tdesaul

I recorded a performance with my Canon GL2 set to 720 (oops) and my Sony FX1000 HD set to 1020. Now in edit, when I cut between scenes my frame changes. If I final in 720 will the 1020 look okay? How else should I do this?

I'.m going to experiment with different methods but I'd like some input to help me think outside the box
      BruceMol
      Participant

It's not at all unusual to mix sizes, 1080, 720 etc. If you can define the size of your project sequence, choose to work in 720 (in this instance) and scale your 1080 file to 68% of the original size. The finished project should render well unless you also are mixing fps i.e. 24fps and 30fps.

tdesaul

Excellent. Thank you for the simple and concise answer!

designcbts
      Participant

If you're using Adobe Premiere Pro, you may also use the "scale to frame size" option…

composite1

If you have After Effects, you can just scale it down to 720p. That's actually a good plan if you've got intentions to have slow motion footage in your piece. Most rigs will have faster frame rates in a smaller format. HD cameras usually go with 1080 30p and 720 60p. You can shoot all your main footage in 1080 and your hard action intended for slo-mo in 720. When you're done, scale it all down to 720p so you don't lose image quality trying to scale up to 1080.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN