recording audio in a large heard room

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound recording audio in a large heard room

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi! I recently shot some corporate video in a very large room that gave us fits with echo, ring and reverb on the voices. Is there any way to help this without tearing the room up and building a sound booth out of the remains (and losing the client forever)? I tried to "fix" it with de-reverb, Adobe Audition CC and Sound Forge in post but no luck!

Participant

What kind of material were you shooting? What kind of mics did you use?

Lavs are my mic of choice but it all depends on a wide variety of things.

Mike

Participant

We were doing a corporate video testimonial in a large conf. room  with wood paneling, windows and hard floors. I used an Audio Technica 875 short shotgun mic for video (condenser) on a boom with a Behringer preamp and a Tascam DR-60 4-track recorder. The audio had a "ring" echo on all voice talent on the raw audio on the SD card.

Participant

In my opinion a shotgun is the wrong kind of mic for this situation.

I've shot stuff in similar rooms but always have the mics close to the people speaking. This could be lavs on each person or table mics, depending on how many people are speaking and where they sit/stand. If there are a lot of people, run the mics into a mixer and have someone running it.

Mike

Participant

Great advice. I'll have to look into some good wireless lavaliers.

Thanks Mike!

Participant

You're welcome halfisher. I bought a Sennheiser G3 wireless kit a few years ago and love it. It's not the cheapest one out there but it's also not the most expensive. I also bought a Sanken COS11D lav mic to go along with it which added around $350 to the price. The mic that comes with it is OK but the Sanken is a night and day difference. If you do decide to go this route, I stongly encourage you to buy from a pro audio shop such as Trew Audio as audio is all that these folks do and they can make suggestions and recommendations that a P.A./music shop can't due to their lack of experience and knowledge.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

Mike

Participant

Here is another thought for you.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap