record compressed video to computer HD

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      jmirman

Can somebody please suggest the best way to record video captured from a video cam or other camera connected directly to my computer? I take long videos, hours at a time, and need a way to record them directly to my computer HD in some space-saving form. I am willing to sacrifice some quality. Currently I am recording directly to DVD with a DVD recorder, but this is so last century!

cfxcorp
      Participant

Most Video NLEs will capture video directly into the editor’s timeline. Vegas and Corel do. I use AVS4YOU’s Video Capture tool (now integrated into their Video Editor) to capture a live stream from a Canon over Firewire. The latency from camera to my laptop screen is considerable so it cannot be used as a monitor while shooting, but the captured file is okay.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.