Record Bicycle Race Finish Line

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi All,

I organize a spring time ‘grassroots’ bicycle race series. Historically, I’ve used Flip and Kodak ‘pocket-corders’ to record the finish line. Their performance is limited. Races are sometimes conducted in the rain.

The finish line width is 30ft. Cameras are mounted 10ft above the curb.Racers finish at a speed of 35mph or 50fps. Sometimes the winner is decided by a matter of inches.

Racers wear Tyvek bib numbers. Sometimes due to the low spring sun, reflection off the tyvek makes the number difficult to read.

High resolution is good. High frame is good. Zoom via lense, not so-called digital zoom, is good.

I would like to muliplex the video stream. Perhaps, two camera may be necessary. I would like to review (e.g. frame by frame) the top ten finishers while continuing to record other finishers. The elapsed race time is also desirable.

FinishLynx sells a line-scan solution that is wonderful. However, I will never be able to afford it. A system that records all finishers and can deliver results quickly is the goal.

What do you equipment do you suggest?

Go Fast … JIM

Any response on this. I’m in the exact same boat. I run a weekly bicycle training race and I use a sony HDR‑AS200V upgarding from a gopro hero3 black. my races finish @8:30pm and when I get low light I can’t pick out numbers. I have fabric numbers (provide for me by Vie13) and fabric is far better then tyvek. Just wonder what your using now?

Bryan

Participant

That’s a big order you’re looking for Jim. Here’s a couple of suggestions. It would help to know your budget, but this will get your started.

Most professional and many prosumer camcorder style cameras (not DSLRs) are capable of “overcranking” which means the shutter speed is operating at a high rate. This results in the action being slowed down during playback. A good example of what overcranking does can be seen in this video by Philip Bloom: https://youtu.be/uBP7NF2SqCs By slowing down the action, that should allow you to see who crossed the line first. By running two similar cameras, one can be your adjudication view, the other running at normal speed to record the final. Both would record to large capacity SD cards.

As for reading the numbers – where you’re an organizer, couldn’t you come up with a way to attach a paper number to each bike that faces upward? Seems simple but I know nothing of the rules.

This is going to be a challenging DIY project. Good luck.

We (VA Cycling & ACCC) have been looking at newer options for finish recording. Our current setup is an older model Canon camcorder outputting to a Macbook via an HDV/DV to Thunderbolt cable using iMovie. It works great and allows for instant review of the finish. No waiting for encoding and transferring from an SD or HD to the computer. The downside is the HDV/DV cameras have been discontinued. There’s also a learning curve for a newer Official running the setup.
      We have tried many of the iPhone based options such as Coaches Eye. They work great and are even better than the MacBook setup under the right conditions. But, as soon as the lighting is too bright or too dark they weaker “camera” and software of the iPhone fail and cause issues.
      In my recent searching, the best option is to invest in an outboard converter that will take the output of the newer cameras and convert it to something that can be inputted in to a Mac. This may be for the better though…. this will allow for the potential for live streaming as well as possibly integrating in to some of the up and coming finish processing like Webscorer.

We (VA Cycling & ACCC) have been looking at newer options for finish recording. Our current setup is an older model Canon camcorder outputting to a Macbook via an HDV/DV to Thunderbolt cable using iMovie. It works great and allows for instant review of the finish. No waiting for encoding and transferring from an SD or HD to the computer. The downside is the HDV/DV cameras have been discontinued. There’s also a learning curve for a newer Official running the setup.
      We have tried many of the iPhone based options such as Coaches Eye. They work great and are even better than the MacBook setup under the right conditions. But, as soon as the lighting is too bright or too dark they weaker “camera” and software of the iPhone fail and cause issues.
      In my recent searching, the best option is to invest in an outboard converter that will take the output of the newer cameras and convert it to something that can be inputted in to a Mac. This may be for the better though…. this will allow for the potential for live streaming as well as possibly integrating in to some of the up and coming finish processing like Webscorer.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap