Recommended iMac for Video Editing?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I am getting ready to move from Windows to the Mac. Any suggestions for specs on an iMac for video editing? I'll be using FCP X and Adobe CC, creating films up to 1 hour in length. Looking for a mid-range solution, which is why I'm not looking into Mac Pro at this time.

The new iMacs with Retina Display look pretty nice.  But all of the iMacs are capable.

I'm using a 27" iMac from 2011, works great with FCPX (I don't have an Adobe subscription).  When I bought it I upgraded the processor to Intel i7 and internal SSD.  So I expect it will meet my editing needs for several more years.

Go for SSD or Fusion internal drive, the regular HDDs take too long to boot and load programs.

Regardless of iMac choice, your satisfaction when editing long-form videos is going to depend upon the speed of external Thunderbolt RAID drives.  I'm using a DROBO 5D but there are faster solutions you could consider.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2020

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap