Reasonably priced broadcast ready camera?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello everyone,

I'm a news photographer trying to make his way into videography. Until now I've filmed with my canon 5D Mark III, but for multiple reasons I want to switch to a more professional system. Can you give me a few suggestions what might be a good camera to start with? I think it would be a good idea if it can take Canon EF lenses, but if not that's not a big problem. Fixed lense could also be fine.

Reasons to change:

– Sometimes my material gets turned down, because it's just 4:2:0 and not 4:2:2. Certain clients ensist on the better material. So 4:2:2 is a must!

– My clients complain about rolling shutter with certain scenes.

– There is too much stuff connected to my camera like the Zoom H6N and so on. Because I'm mostly running&gunning I want something with less lose parts. So I'm looking for dedicated video cam that includes things like good audio recorder and viewfinder with focus assist.

What do you think about the Canon C-Series?

What other options might be interesting?

How is the Blackmagick Pocket camera?

Hi Jason – sadly, the $4999 C100 (with Dual Pixel Autofocus) only records to 8-bit 4:2:0 – and, although the $2495 (on sale, as of this post) Blackmagic Production Camera 4K records to 10-bit 4:2:2 ProRes, is a good value for the money and gets good reviews from some news shooters – its ergonomics are as bad as a DSLR's.

You would need an external recorder, batteries, an external EVF or monitor and a rig just to make it usable.

If you're going to shoot run and gun, you really need a traditional camcorder.

And to future proof your product, you might want to consider the new $5499 Sony PXW-Z100 fixed lens 4K/60p XAVC 4:2:2 camcorder with a $298.95 64GB 180MB/s Sony XQD card.

This camera records 4K/60p resolution.to XAVC – the same codec as Sony's F5 and F55 cinema cameras.

Here's a first impressions video from working videographers:

…and some sample video:

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

You might also want to check out comparable offerings from Panasonic. Either manufacturer can provide a solid run-and-gun solution.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap