Raw video and postproduction?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hello there!

I have a Canon_8063b002_32GB_VIXIA_HF_G20 and it shoots at max in 24mbit/s. Now, I do some postproduction such as color correction, adding cinematic filter effects, and I am thinking of doing green screen soon although I have learned the hard way that the camera has wrong chroma subsampling (4:2:0 and 4:2:2 or higher is preferred) so it will be more challenging. However, what I was wondering is that if you could shoot in more raw video (yes, you get huge files) will you be able to do more stuff in postproduction that doesn't affect how "natural" it looked? Will raw video make my videos look even better when I postproduct them because of their uncompressed video?

Thanks in advance! I love to learn from more experienced people than me in this hobby/field! πŸ™‚

RAW video will look better in post, assuming you are pretty good at color grading. Most non-RAW formats do a fair amount of processing on the image they record–RAW footage may not look nearly as good, until you put it through a fairly lengthy color-grading process.

Color-grading on RAW footage goes well beyond simply setting skin tones correctly on a vectorscope display and simple chroma and luma adjustments. Colorists are generally full-time professionals who use high-end software and control consoles. They get really amazing results, and I couldn't come close to their results. That's why I, personally, don't shoot video in RAW.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap